Pet rooster + Occasional breeding? Is it possible?

newgoosegirl

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
So, I just found out my lovely sebright baby is a cockerel, and my brother just bought a pullet (also pet). I plan on keeping him inside pretty much all the time. Yes I know about the poop, my goose sleeps on my bed, I know how to deal with it. I'm pretty sure you can keep a lone rooster as a pet, but I'm wondering if I could let him out with the hen occasionally, because, y'know, the other chickens are gonna lay eggs and it'd be nice if he could pay his way too.
wink.png

So, would it be possible to just do that sometimes and still have a sweet pet, or would being around hens at all make him aggressive? Or would it not even work trying to breed by leaving a rooster out there a few hours? It would just be nice if I could do that, otherwise he'll just sit on my shoulder eating bits of peanut butter sandwiches.
tongue.png

I don't think it would be a problem, I don't think it would change his behavior. As far as if a few hours would be enough time, I think so! When I introduced a new hen to my Roo, it took him about ten seconds to introduce himself and then he got his groove on LOL!

Thanks! That would be great, I'll just have to see what happens in a few months now.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom