pet rooster spurring kids

Ya'll are killing me that is exactly what our SLW roo that began attacking me does.....it get's near me pretending to peck on the ground but follows me around like, la tee da teee da.......like everythings cool and if I turn to walk out of the run he jumps me from behind....the only reason he's still alive is DH gave him to his friend and he hasn't picked him up yet, suposedly tomorrow....

I carry a rake with me now in the run and we he comes at me, I push the rake at him, I've sprayed him with the water hose a couple of times too....that's when he began "sneaking and plotting".....

I know I am in the extreme minority, but I really do NOT understand how any of you could keep a Chicken (Rooster) as a pet and then "put him in the Stewpot."

And the whole euphemism of "cull" for "kill" is ridiculous.

If you give a rooster attention and love (from a young age), you have great odds of it not being aggresive.

If you don't want your children to get spurred, don't let them approach a Roo who you know has an instinct ti protect his yard.

Mine as well send your child into a dog kennel with a hungry Rottweiler and then blame the dog.

Quote:
I beg to differ. We gave our roo tons of love and affection from the time he was 2 days old. We loved him and spoiled him rotten. All was well until he came into his "roosterhood" and decided that anything that wasn't a hen was to be attacked. We tried love and cuddling to reprogram him. Nothing worked. He became dangerous. And when a 25-lb., almost 2-1/2 foot tall rooster gets dangerous --he's dangerous. Giving him away would only endanger someone else so I shot him. I didn't cull him... I killed him quickly. Since we did consider him a pet, we couldn't eat him. I certainly don't blame the rooster -- as he was doing his job at being a rooster -- but at the same time, don't blame me for getting rid of a hazard.

speaking as a person who has an UNUSUALLY friendly male duck, i know that most of that is pure luck. i do not delude myself or others into believing i am a perfect angel duck mother who loved him into his wonderful state. i am not the goddess of ducks. it is pure fate. if i go outside at night and fall asleep on the porch, this duck will come and sit in my lap. i have slept all night long with this duck and it didn't even poop on me.

now i LOVE this duck and i feel very grateful to have it BUT

I WOUlLD NOT IMPLY TO SOMEONE WHO HAD A REGULAR DUCK that their bad raising of the duck was to blame. my duck is the odd ball. again, i am lucky and grateful. but i am not self deluded and i would not blame other people for not having had such good luck.

personally, i would never ever claim that roosters or chickens were pets. they are food. none of mine have names and none of them ever will.

others may consider them their pets. they might also find the need to cull, excuse me kill, an errant, excuse me, vicious rooster.

it's charming when people with limited experience admit it, not so charming when they don't.

Quote:
Who said they were pets! I planned on eating my extra roosters (or hens) from Day 1, I've eaten 12 out of 14, he's lucky he made it this long. None of the ones I ate had a name though, since he has a name, we decided to give him away. However, I would have no problem eating his mean butt. I wouldn't eat my dog or cat. Cull doesn't mean kill always, it can mean to humanely expire a sick, mean, or deformed chicken. I would kill my dog if it attacked me or my children.

Last edited:
Quote:
If you are raising your chickens as meat, fine whatever, eat them.

That is NOT what I said. I said that i don't understand the people who DO KEEP THEM AS PETS and then can kill and eat them. It absolutely baffles me.

And i said that you have BETTER ODDS of having a gentle rooster if you raise it from a chick and give it attention and love. Also, establishing yourself as the ALPHA Roo helps as well.

Quote:
Who said they were pets! I planned on eating my extra roosters (or hens) from Day 1, I've eaten 12 out of 14, he's lucky he made it this long. None of the ones I ate had a name though, since he has a name, we decided to give him away. However, I would have no problem eating his mean butt. I wouldn't eat my dog or cat. Cull doesn't mean kill always, it can mean to humanely expire a sick, mean, or deformed chicken. I would kill my dog if it attacked me or my children.

I know what Cull means, and people used that word incorrectly here, when what they meant was kill.

And truthfully, even though you are raising your chickens as meat, I don't get how you can slaughter and eat them. I really don't. Not saying it is wrong, I just don't get it. I could never do that.

Quote:
I agree in a way, but that's just me personally. I certainly understand people raising chickens for food. AND, I understand that if you have to kill something, it's better that it doesn't go to waste. If I knew of someone that could make a nice meal of my rooster after I had to kill him, I would have felt a little better about the whole thing.

I was raised as a country girl and we had to "cull" some roosters because we had too many and we did eat them. That being said, I wasn't out there naming them. LOL.

Long story short:... if you're gonna eat it, don't name it!
old.gif

Quote:

I know what Cull means, and people used that word incorrectly here, when what they meant was kill.

And truthfully, even though you are raising your chickens as meat, I don't get how you can slaughter and eat them. I really don't. Not saying it is wrong, I just don't get it. I could never do that.

I'll let the mods deal with this thread, it's going off topic. But I will say If you eat chicken, your eating slaughter chicken, I'd rather have MY organic chicken and eggs than mass produced. I would prefer not to kill mine, but if I have to I'll eat them instead of throwing them away.

Quote:

I'll let the mods deal with this thread, it's going off topic. But I will say If you eat chicken, your eating slaughter chicken, I'd rather have MY organic chicken and eggs than mass produced. I would prefer not to kill mine, but if I have to I'll eat them instead of throwing them away.

Totally agree with you Jenichick.

Back
Top Bottom