1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Petersime Incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Buck Creek Chickens, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Anyone have one? I'm looking into buying a Petersime model 1, its a redwood incubator, from the guy in Minnesota

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Never heard of it. I've heard redwood incubators are good though.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

You MIGHT check Ebay. I think I saw one for sale there in the past few days. Don't know what model it was.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    e bay has old parts for a #4, very few at that, I'm looking for someone that has a petersime, I'd like to know how they work, there not supposed to be as temp. sensitive to room temps as other incubators

5. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Quote:The reason solid wood cabinets maintain heat much better than other type cabinet materials has to do with the R Value of the cabinet material. The R value is a measure of thermal resistance. Plywood type made incubators using 1 inch thick plywood will have a R value of around R1, about the same R value of a one inch layer of snow. Of course plywood incubator cabinets manufacturers only use 1/2inch plywood at best, so figure a R value of .5. Oddly enough, a hardwood cabinet made using 1inch thick lumber only has a R value of R.71, which is less even than the value of plywood of equal thickness. Since lumber is usually 3/4 in thick the R value of a hardwood cabinet is only slightly better than a ½ plywood cabinet. On the other hand, soft woods, (redwood, pine, firs), of a 1 inch thickness will have a R value of R1.41, double the values of hardwoods. Since lumber for cabinets is usually around 3/4in thickness, a Redwood incubator would be insulated to about R1.05, or roughly twice the insulation value of a plywood or hardwood type cabinet.

Further you have the factor of thermal mass, (also called thermal capacitance or heat capacity). Thermal mass is the capacity of a body to store heat, where as a thicker piece of solid wood would be able to store a greater amount of heat, thereby being least effected by changes in outside temperature over a short period of time. Given the thermal mass of a hardwood cabinet, even though the R value is about the same as for plywood, hardwoods (of greater thickness) would still be a better choice for building an incubator cabinet because of the woods ability to store heat, ie. thermalmass. Softwoods ( Redwood, Pines, Firs), of the same thickness would have a similar thermal mass as the hardwoods and double the R value and would be a better choice of incubator material than either the hardwood or the plywood.

6. koolie6br

koolie6br New Egg

Sep 10, 2010
    i have a no.1 in central WI and my sister has another they are a great incubator bit there to big and i think im going to get rid of mine

7. JazminesZoo

JazminesZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  8. FLTortoise

FLTortoise Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Hi Koolie6br,

I will buy your Petersime and could pick it up no problem. . .

9. FLTortoise

FLTortoise Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Nice write up Muddstopper! I knew this but could never express it in words as well as you did ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by