Petition to legalize chickens in Esperance

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
Anyone not in the loop here’s the thread explaining most of the back story, if you’re interested that is. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/neighbor-is-threatening-me-and-my-chickens.1468440/
Today was the meeting with the Board and boy they were so against chickens. They cited all the usual reasons. They smell. They’re loud. That was really it. The neighbor was even there and he said the lady two houses down has to keep her windows closed because of the smell. He says this but keeps his windows open all day.
Then they tried to tell us our land wasn’t big enough, when my husband was not backing down, and we couldn’t have them anyway. Not according to the actual ordinance though. Anyway me and the other chicken people in the village are doing a community petition but i wanted to do an online one as well. This way it can show the board, hopefully, that there’s more interest in chickens than ever. If they keep living in the 70s then the village will become a ghost town. Hopefully i posted this right and the link shows up okay. Thank you all for your support through everything. I wouldn‘t have been able to figure this all out without you all.
http://chng.it/KpszJQHXpY

Really disappointed it was that bad. I expected an uphill battle, but not a vertical climb. Good luck in your efforts to get things changed.
Thank you. There’s so many people in the village that are for chickens. Hopefully we can come to some sort of compromise. It will be a battle but I’m not giving up. There’s a neighbor that moved here a year ago and has had her chickens for five years. If she knew she couldn’t keep chickens here she wouldn’t have moved here.
The messed up thing about all this is the only ordinance being changed from these ancient laws is the one pertaining to chickens. The one that says I can keep a horse 300ft from a neighboring dwelling isn’t being changed. 😑

I just signed, I understand how difficult this must be for you. I love my chickens and if this happened to me, I would never give up on them.
I'm going to share the link too so you can get all the signatures you need.
Good luck

I just signed, I understand how difficult this must be for you. I love my chickens and if this happened to me, I would never give up on them.
I'm going to share the link too so you can get all the signatures you need.
Thank you. I appreciate that so much. The more signatures I have the more it’ll show the board how much interest there is for keeping chickens. Right now I think the board thinks no one wants to keep chickens. Well I know one person on the board thinks that.

Back
Top Bottom