Pets die in flood--warning graphic

Here in La. I know that their were zero/none/zilch shelters accepting people with pets as late as 2008. Haven't heard of any since.

Petco is a national chain. I'm sure they have other stores in the area, stores outside of the flood plain. The animals should have been moved to other stores in the days before the flooding happened. This type of flood doesn't happen with just a few minutes or a few hours warning. Petco is also lying if they say it was a sewage backup that caused the flooding. The fact that the river is in the parking lot shows that it isn't from sewage backup.

This flooding is tragic, on both the human level and on the animal level. It doesn't need to be made worse by the callousness of individuals or businesses. There is always enough tragedy to go around without something like this.

Last edited:
My point is --- evacuated by who and evacuated how and evacuated to where?

Those questions could not be answered for any city of any size in concerns of the human population.

You have to make the connection between removing the animals from one location and transporting them to the "safe" location.

Flooding covers huge areas, hurricanes and tropical storms cover huge areas. It's not a matter of grabbing a dog and moving it across the street. The "rescue" may have to come from miles and miles away, closed highways, blocked streets, abandoned cars, debri in the roadway. You have to understand this is not as simple as you would like to beleave.

Been through Betsy, Andrew, Katrina, Rita, and Gustav. I was envolved in the rescue efforts associated with the aftermath of Katrina. Inorder to rescue some one or something you have to have a DESTINATION for the evacuee. You can't leave them on the side of the road. Do you want to know how many flat tires you can expect to have when traveling 60 miles of interstate highway clogged with debri? The answer is if you only got one spare you ain't going to make it. You better have patch kits plus compressor.

You got to walk the mile before you can judge.

Quote:
I'm not being sarcastic when I say this, I'm being sincere. Did you have time to read the linked articles?

In one of them the representative flat out says they have the ability to move animals to other stores and have done so at other locations previously. So it's not that it was doomed from the beginning and animals were destined to drown. It's not a matter of they tried, but couldn't. It's a matter of they sent their employees home early, locked up the store with the river behind it, an evacuation order in place and didn't attempt to do anything for the animals.

Now they are trying to pass the blame to the city. If they had tried anything, even sandbagging or moving SOME of the animals or even had their plan to move animals started (even if it failed) people wouldn't be so upset.

In case it matters, yes, I have been evacuated multiple times before, I do understand what it entails and that you are not always successful, but I also know 100% that you at least TRY.

You'll be pleased to know that PETA and lawyers are now on the case--that cynical btw. BTW, it would seem the decision to lock and leave was, apparently, left up to an "Associate" rather than a manager. Without knowing who, exactly this Associate was, I'm assuming it was some low level employee with no experience in such matters--in other words, someone who should not have been given that responsibility but who will probably take the fall.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would have to agree with the flood warnings part, we live about 20 mins away from a small town that got flooded pretty badly and they were doing warnings the day before, no official evacuation til the next day when it kept rising, but still...you have your chance to prepare for it.

Last edited:
It's petco, not the zoo. They have small amounts of animals. I'm not talking fish......cause quite honestly, nobody would make a huge stink about them dying (right or wrong). At most, a dozen aquariums of rats, mice, hamster, guinea pigs. Same with reptiles. A few cages of birds. They sell supplies so could easily have sent them off in sale aquariums or bird cages on a moments notice.

Hate to say it but large corporations like that worry more about the potential for employees to steal if an animal is removed from the store than the loss of life. I worked at one of the large chain petstores and the manager wasn't even allowed to take baby birds home that needed to be fed hot formula. There was no way to heat it without power. And feeding cold formula can kill them.

Back
Top Bottom