PEX automatic watering systems???

Here4AGoodTime

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2015
North Alabama
Anyone had luck using PEX to rig watering systems? I want to use PEX in lieu of PVC as PEX will not rupture when frozen. I'm particularly interested in seeing how nipples/cups are fixed into the pipe. Thanks!

Of could I wouldn't intentionally let my water freeze, but in the event of a power outage, heat bulb burnout, etc, I want to avoid the potential flooding problems before they happen.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Should work, experiment on a scrap with drilling hole then threading nipple/cup in.
Never actually worked with pex before, it's softer than pvc?
With pvc you'd want to cut the threads with a NPT tap or use 1/8" NPT fittings(can you buy pex fittings?).

Apr 20, 2019
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Anyone had luck using PEX to rig watering systems? I want to use PEX in lieu of PVC as PEX will not rupture when frozen. I'm particularly interested in seeing how nipples/cups are fixed into the pipe. Thanks!

Of could I wouldn't intentionally let my water freeze, but in the event of a power outage, heat bulb burnout, etc, I want to avoid the potential flooding problems before they happen.
hate to bring up such an old post but i'm looking to do the same, did it work out?

springvalley123

Free Ranging
7 Years
May 22, 2015
North of Phoenix
I haven't used PEX for my birds, but have experience as to why it's so sought after in housing. Because it doesn't crack & trigger a catastrophic leak when it freezes. HOWEVER----it expands and contracts with the temperature change. For example, it might be 12 inches long when it's warm outside, but only 8 inches long when it gets colder. I don't know the exact measurements, but plumbers have to know how to work with it and how to attach or not attach it because of the expansion and contraction. Plus, you'll need special tools and fittings to work with and use it.

Happily Retired

Chirping
May 24, 2022
Texas Hill Country
I have re-plumbed 2 houses using PEX and wouldn't use anything else for house plumbing. There are some drawbacks one should be aware of before heading off in this direction. First, NEVER buy the coiled PEX. It takes on a curved set and it is virtually impossible to straighten out. Second, there are two types of fittings that can be used with PEX... "Sharkbite" and compression. The Sharkbite fittings are expensive, are push-on and require no tools. The compression fittings are cheaper but require a special compression tool for installation and can be very cumbersome to install in tight places. The tool is about $100. Once installed neither type of fitting can be removed so every time is permanent.

I doubt that there are any PEX nipples or watering cups available, at least not from what I have researched. One would have to install the nipples/cups as if using PVC i.e. drilling. May have to use teflon tape and or silicon caulking to make it watertight especially if you are planning on connecting to the domestic supply or some other pressurized system.

Top Bottom