PEX automatic watering systems???

I have re-plumbed 2 houses using PEX and wouldn't use anything else for house plumbing. There are some drawbacks one should be aware of before heading off in this direction. First, NEVER buy the coiled PEX. It takes on a curved set and it is virtually impossible to straighten out. Second, there are two types of fittings that can be used with PEX... "Sharkbite" and compression. The Sharkbite fittings are expensive, are push-on and require no tools. The compression fittings are cheaper but require a special compression tool for installation and can be very cumbersome to install in tight places. The tool is about $100. Once installed neither type of fitting can be removed so every time is permanent.

I doubt that there are any PEX nipples or watering cups available, at least not from what I have researched. One would have to install the nipples/cups as if using PVC i.e. drilling. May have to use teflon tape and or silicon caulking to make it watertight especially if you are planning on connecting to the domestic supply or some other pressurized system.
Dont buy coiled PEX ? if youre running a house of PEX with the straight lengths you would have 1000s of fittings restricting flow severely... and the costs would be extreme. PEX comes coiled ( even contractors know this, and a little heat works wonder where needed ) but that little curvature isnt going to hurt anything.... its $25 for 100ft coil and $7 for a 10ft length of straight....
To use pex with the idea of a watering system you will need to add PVC fittings using proper barbs and clamps for the pex transitioning which all in all is so high in costs its best to just stay with PVC as its cheap and easy to repair if needed. Use foam rubber over the pvc ( sold at all hardware stores and chickens cant tear it up like foam. Ive had no issues with mine and its been 15 below freezing here with no heat sources in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom