Phaedra's happy mini flocks

Preparing feed for all chickens is my part of my morning routine. Among my adult hens, two Leghorn and two Lohmann Brown used to lay in the early morning. However, recently they "insisted" to have their breakfast first.

I have developed my own method to collect kitchen scraps which are suitable for them, blended those materials, and then mixed with fermented feed and chick feed (will be finised soon). As they are molting and the temperature drops quickly, I provided them scrambled eggs, jogurt, shrimp shells (because shrimps are my favorite food), frozen peas, and some meat/organs from what I have prepared for my raw-fed cats and dogs, for extra protein.

35295.jpg

35197_0.jpg

35198_0.jpg
Now is the season of pumkins and carrots, I have harvested a lot and can share with them. The outer leaves of any brassica are also ideal ingredients.
35291.jpg

Sometimes I added dried oregano leaves and dried shrimps
35196_0.jpg

From time to time, they will have some special treats, for example, each flock got one mango pit. I can feel how much they love it!
35296.jpg

I planted a lot of sunflowers this year and kept about half for the birds in the garden. The chickens enjoy the rest half almost everyday.
34989_0.jpg

There are also a lot of garden green wastes after the main growing season. They are quite busy everyday now.
35303.jpg

35301.jpg

Well, I can see how healthy and happy they are. The cockerels and pullets are now 16 weeks old. I never imagine they can grow so quickly.
35302.jpg

One of the pullets started to lay last week, that means she is only 15 weeks old :eek: I am always worried those pullets didn't have sufficient food - compared with adult hens and strong cockerels, it's still not so easy for them to enjoy the food, even there are multi-stations. However, they are always energetic and active. I guess that they are doing fine.

Time flies, and suddenly it's another year.

Our hens are molting. For the 7 senior ladies who were hatched in 2020 summer, this is the first serious molting they are going through now.

The first one is almost finished her molting, and the new feathers are so pretty. I never saw her like this in the past two years. I guess, from now on she is a real matured lady.

453.jpg

452.jpg

457.jpg

The young girls who were hatched here this June all started laying. They are cute and very used to be close to human beings.

450.jpg

Warm water in the morning~
451.jpg

Cockerels are noisy, no doubt, but they have their own life in the rooster pen. As they grew up together and had already their own pecking orders, there is no fight at all.

454.jpg

Time flies, and suddenly it's another year.

Our hens are molting. For the 7 senior ladies who were hatched in 2020 summer, this is the first serious molting they are going through now.

The first one is almost finished her molting, and the new feathers are so pretty. I never saw her like this in the past two years. I guess, from now on she is a real matured lady.

View attachment 2968388

View attachment 2968389

View attachment 2968393
The young girls who were hatched here this June all started laying. They are cute and very used to be close to human beings.

View attachment 2968390
Warm water in the morning~
View attachment 2968391

Cockerels are noisy, no doubt, but they have their own life in the rooster pen. As they grew up together and had already their own pecking orders, there is no fight at all.

View attachment 2968392
Do you have pics of Odin?

Long story short, we also have quails now in the garden of the family house in the city.

I used PVC pipes (20mm), hardware clothes, and chicken wires to build their outdoor run. The old Omlet Go coop is not suitable for chicken, in my opinion, and I used it for quails.
8822.jpg

the "recycled" Christmas tree
8937.jpg

It seems that they really love this corner.
8841.jpg

It's a pleasant experience to build this run. In spring I will definitely use 50mm PVC pipes to build new chicken runs.

Back
Top Bottom