Phaedra's happy mini flocks

Pics
Jun 14, 2021
Germany
Hi there, after 6 chicks are hatched, now we have 16 birds. Chicken math is powerul than I imagined. I didn't expect that I will spend so much time learning and stay with them, so gradually I also want to make a thread to record them.

These five girls belong to one flock. One is molting, two are just out from the broody jail :p They are about 14-16 month old now

29048.jpg

This hen (14 months) and chicks (7 weeks) she hatched at the end of June. Now the chicks are almost half of her size.
28969(1).jpg

These four hens (12~13 month old) are in the same run with mama hen and chicks.
28836_0.jpg

This is how 6 chicks looked like this morning, can't believe they are suddenly 7 weeks old now.

I planted a lot of vegetables and fruits, some are just for the chickens, usually in the morning I will use whatever available and suitable to make their breakfast (the rest of day they have access to commercial feed and water), for example, an apple, homegrown green beans (cooked), beetroot, carrot and basil are part of it.
29276.jpg

For me, chickens offer important and lovely companionship for my gardening and daily life. There are still much to learn, but I am thankful to have them.

One of my sweet girls, she is a Padovana (related to polish), about 14 months old.
P8060165.JPG

When she was 7 weeks old
P1011747.JPG

Another Padovana, she hatched 6 baby chicks this June
img.jpg

When she was 7 weeks old, they look funny when they were so young.
P1011717.JPG

A molting EE and Marans, 16 months old
P8060179.JPG

Once upon the time, when I just have them for a short time, due to her comb and wattle, I thought she is a rooster :lau Now I know it's just a reference.
P8060184.JPG

Attachments

• img.jpg
    img.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 2
After the chicken tunnel is built yesterday evening, today early I removed the barrier and let them get their dream job - chicken mowing!
29340.jpg

As we have a lot of rain this summer, the pasture grass grow crazily, this time I kept a small piece of area for them to enjoy. Some couch grass might be more than 30cm, and as it's so wet, difficult for using mower too. Well, show time for our tough girls!

29363.jpg

Girls: "Piece of CAKE! Let's first have a 30-second team meeting to sort out everyone's responsibility."
29364.jpg

Okay, let's seperate, move, move!
29358.jpg

They immediately start working and enjoy!
29355.jpg

Time for us to go for weekly grocery shopping, let's see how they will have done later.

Last edited:
Today is really a "chicken sunday" - a lot of things done for them.

One flock got an party room with sandbath area, rainy days are also ok!
Some mixed wheat berries are sowed in shallow trays (on the roof) for them.
29467.jpg

Where the small pallet is now, i might put a roost or a swing, not decided yet.
29468.jpg

The other flock got not only a chicken tunnel, but also an extended playground into one corner of our hedge.

29428.jpg

Mmm, after some time, I might get a more "nutritious" leaf mold? :lau Here they have a small area with roof, can stay temporarily when it rains.
29423.jpg

Look at them, what a relaxing life they have :D
29473.jpg

Baby chicks and Mama hen got a mobile pen, which can bring them to many places with fresh pasture for picnic and camping :love.
29465.jpg

Ah, of course, everyone has Sunday brunch for sure.
29446.jpg

29447.jpg

29448.jpg

29449.jpg

Breakfast time!

29626.jpg

Melon seeds contribute to the breakfast, rind with flesh rest in the fridge for summer afternoon treats, 0 waste.
29620.jpg

homegrown carrot, boiled eggs (with shell)
29621.jpg

Outer leaves of two different cabbage, some leftover rice and cauliflower
29622.jpg

Also some commercial feed
29624.jpg

Usually I will keep some scraps in the glass jar, for using next day
29625.jpg

Flock one has 2 tough Marans, therefore two stations can ensure everyone get enough food.
29628.jpg

They are all very healthy and laying well. :D
I also start making fermented feed.

29629.jpg

Back
Top Bottom