Phaedra's happy mini flocks

After we washed the coop, time for summer treat!
30043.jpg

It looks like some fancy bling-bling dessert for teenaged girls :p

30042.jpg

Girls, are you ready?
30050.jpg

How did 3 flocks try their first fruity ice? They were eating and discussing :lau

Well, kind of success, they are so cute when they are trying to peck the ice and find out different flavors from different corners.

What breeds do you have? I see golden comets and leghorns, but I’m not sure what else you have. :)
I have 10 hens: two leghorns, two Lohmann Brown, two Padovana, two Marans, and two Araucana (more for mixed breed with Araucana) :D

6 chicks, which are mixed breed from a chicken owner in the neighborhood.

After we washed the coop, time for summer treat!
View attachment 2797124

It looks like some fancy bling-bling dessert for teenaged girls :p

View attachment 2797125

Girls, are you ready?
View attachment 2797129

How did 3 flocks try their first fruity ice? They were eating and discussing :lau

Well, kind of success, they are so cute when they are trying to peck the ice and find out different flavors from different corners.
I give mine frozen fruit (and veggie) blocks too. I find if you add a bit of yoghurt or kefir it freezes with more of an ice-cream consistency so they find it easier to peck at than a glass-like ice-cube. You could try it - mine love it!

I give mine frozen fruit (and veggie) blocks too. I find if you add a bit of yoghurt or kefir it freezes with more of an ice-cream consistency so they find it easier to peck at than a glass-like ice-cube. You could try it - mine love it!
Sounds wonderful! I will try it next week after getting new yoghurt, thanks for the sharing!

Weekly coop cleaning day, I love the new bedding material - dried hemp.

30061_0.jpg

With the high pressure cleaner, cleaning omlet coop is an easy task.
30127_0.jpg

This hemp bedding is much much better than what I bought last time, the wood shavings -- too much dust, terrible.
30065_0.jpg

Their breakfast today, mixed with fermented feed.
30160.jpg

Treats for them for these few days, as we have one heat wave
30004(1).jpg

30156.jpg

All hens are back to normal status, 10 hens 10 egges today :p I guess I will do some pudding tomorrow.
30149.jpg

Today's ice bar, can see different layers now, tomorrow I will make one with yogurt :D

30219.jpg
30220.jpg

A whole new week! The temperature drops to 18 degree C, and chickens all enjoy it. The two girls are about to lay, after their breakfast and digging in the cold compost piles.

30271.jpg

One of the reasons I like summer is, there are really a lot of homegrown food for them.
30231_0.jpg

30232_0.jpg

Not just veggies and berries, today they also got some roses, marigold, mint.
30233_0.jpg

30235_0.jpg

Mixed with fermented feed, some dried mini shrimps and sesame.
30236_0.jpg

I found a funny plate which was a bit damaged, but totally ok to use for young chickens.
30242_0.jpg

Also picked some more flowers, cut up with food processor and sun-dried in the greenhouse. It will become part of the winter feed for chickens. I did the same for some herbs.

30267.jpg

30268.jpg

30269.jpg

Big girls are my gardening helpers. They are very good at eliminating high grass, weeds and breakdown old potted plants - then i just need to harvest whatever left on the ground.
30309.jpg

Our cockerel enjoys microgreen (red clover and alfalfa) in the food tower.
30317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom