Phaeomelanin effect of Recessive White Gene?

Amer

Advocate of Shiloh
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I read in Grant Brereton’s 21st Century Poultry Breeding that one copy of recessive white was used to produced the proper lemon hackle color in male-line Partridge Wyandottes. Because of the nature of recessive white, naturally breeding two proper “male-line” birds gave you 50 percent “lemon hackle” 25 percent gold hackle, and 25 percent white birds. The female male-line Wyandottes were light in color as well.
So: l wondered, are there any other examples where recessive white dilutes phaeomelanin in its heterozygous state?
As always @nicalandia :)

Is he talking about Red Pyle? The only thing I can replicate with Dominant White on partridge is Red Pyle, unless there's something I'm missing.
Looks like you missed understanding or reading her post.
The question was about recessive white in its heterozygous state.

@Amer I've never saw what you're describing.

Looks like you missed understanding or reading her post.
The question was about recessive white in its heterozygous state.

@Amer I've never saw what you're describing.
https://www.facebook.com/Knock-Maize-Wyandottes-223859520989727/posts
6A1DC768-E4A6-4693-A129-41D1F2A354C4.jpeg
According to Grant Brereton, the dilution is caused by recessive white.

https://www.facebook.com/Knock-Maize-Wyandottes-223859520989727/postsView attachment 2753393 According to Grant Brereton, the dilution is caused by recessive white.
Way back when I had my first CCL some carried RW.
I was trying like crazy to ID which had it and there was no difference I ever found with which carried it and which didn't by sight.
Maybe the difference was because they had the cream dilute genes or maybe it effects partridge different then duckwing. IDK.

I see this is an old post, but I do find it quite fascinating! I have recessive white in my quail d’Anvers and so far it shows up unexpectedly. BUT I do get Quail and Blue Quail males that have diluted hackles and sickles and darker red on the back. No difference really seen in females. I have been culling them as the color contrast is not appealing to me, but some of my remaining males are still carrying recessive white ( so it obviously doesn’t affect them all). But I never considered whether the main cause of this color fault came from the recessive white. What a thought!

I see this is an old post, but I do find it quite fascinating! I have recessive white in my quail d’Anvers and so far it shows up unexpectedly. BUT I do get Quail and Blue Quail males that have diluted hackles and sickles and darker red on the back. No difference really seen in females. I have been culling them as the color contrast is not appealing to me, but some of my remaining males are still carrying recessive white ( so it obviously doesn’t affect them all). But I never considered whether the main cause of this color fault came from the recessive white. What a thought!
Do you have pictures? Of the whites and dilutes?

I definitely have pictures of my whites. It is a recessive white and some of them have red in the beard and some of the males have had a pink color in the wing bars, which I attribute to gold leakage. I do wonder if I inadvertently selected for a weaker allele of recessive white By culling all the males with pale hackles. After a little bit of white to white breeding those able to get rid of some of that rust and leakage, but it still shows up from time to time in some of the offspring.

I usually only take pictures of birds that I like, But I did take a picture of one of the blue Quail cockerels that had the dilution So I could use it as an example if I ever needed to talk about it or write about it. It’s on my computer at home so you’ll have to wait until I get back home to post that picture. But for now I will post pictures of my recessive whites.

Attachments

• 70C906B3-5D49-4252-BA04-16666A122A27.jpeg
    70C906B3-5D49-4252-BA04-16666A122A27.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 86A8EF38-FBD7-4A2B-80EA-C6E52EAB67A5.jpeg
    86A8EF38-FBD7-4A2B-80EA-C6E52EAB67A5.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DBA85860-C40E-41ED-A022-27AA0541C599.jpeg
    DBA85860-C40E-41ED-A022-27AA0541C599.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 562E616F-048F-43E9-8136-6BAB65997783.jpeg
    562E616F-048F-43E9-8136-6BAB65997783.jpeg
    536.4 KB · Views: 4
  • CE2EE244-4D77-458E-8173-69F0000943A2.jpeg
    CE2EE244-4D77-458E-8173-69F0000943A2.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 4
I read in Grant Brereton’s 21st Century Poultry Breeding l wondered, are there any other examples where recessive white dilutes phaeomelanin in its heterozygous state?
As always @nicalandia :)

I have the utmost respect for Grant Brereton and his mentor the Good Doctor Clive Carefoot. But so far all of the knowledge we have on the effect of recessive white can not corroborate that claim.

I definitely have pictures of my whites. It is a recessive white and some of them have red in the beard and some of the males have had a pink color in the wing bars, which I attribute to gold leakage. I do wonder if I inadvertently selected for a weaker allele of recessive white By culling all the males with pale hackles. After a little bit of white to white breeding those able to get rid of some of that rust and leakage, but it still shows up from time to time in some of the offspring.

I usually only take pictures of birds that I like, But I did take a picture of one of the blue Quail cockerels that had the dilution So I could use it as an example if I ever needed to talk about it or write about it. It’s on my computer at home so you’ll have to wait until I get back home to post that picture. But for now I will post pictures of my recessive whites.
They are very cute with good type. It really does help the type when they come from exhibition quails.

Back
Top Bottom