Pheasant Belt?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chrishel, Sep 19, 2011.

1. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I hate to bring up a sore subject, but I know some of us can't get gamebird starter without antibiotics because we are in the "Pheasant Belt".

Where exactly is the "Pheasant Belt?"

I called my feed store to see if I could special order some Purina Startena without antibiotics and he told me they don't make it that way. I've called Purina direct and they aren't familiar with the product WITH antibiotic.

Very frustrating.

2. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

Were do you live? From under your name it says the windy city so im thinking Chicago? Unless... [​IMG]

3. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Chicago.

I live in the suburbs, so "feed stores" are hard to come by...haha!

I could drive a hour+ out to get to another feed store to see what they have, but I'm not really sure if it's worth it for $15 of feed. I'll spend more on that in gas!

So I think I'm pretty much stuck with the Purina Startena Medicated.

4. thekid

hmm not sure I thought the pheasant belt would be more west than that, ya know when you turn on the pheasant hunting tv shows on the outdoor channel and hundreds of pheasant come flying out of the corn field

5. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    You'd think that...haha. I've never SEEN a pheasant in real life in the wild. At the zoo!

But down state and in Indiana there's tons of corn fields. I just don't get out much, being a city girl and all.

I brought hard boiled coturnix eggs to work and half the people were wigged out. One person asked if I collected them myself. I was like, "What? You mean in the field?" THAT was weird. What if they were half developed?

6. thekid

Quote:haha i go pheasant hunting a lot there real purty when they fall from the air [​IMG]

7. SliderShooter

SliderShooter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    Rice Country, CA
    Quote:They should teach childern in school where our food actually comes from. Most people in today's world think it comes from the grocery store. [​IMG]

8. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    the only bad thing i have heard about medicated feed is it might make your birds egg infertile....i have no data to back that up tho, just heresay

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    The "pheasant Belt" Is A Geographical Area Where Lots Of Very Large Commercial Pheasant/ Bob White Farms Are Located... What Exactly Those Boundries Are I Have No Clue, But Its Most Midwest States Down Thru Mississippi And Across Through Parts Of The Carolinas

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I can't get gamebird starter that is non-medicated in my area either but I've not had a problem with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by