Pheasant egg?

snowflight1

Chirping
Aug 2, 2019
Canada
I just found an egg in my coop yard. I have ring neck pheasants mixed in with chickens, some of which are blue/green egg layers. The chickens are not young, so they are laying full sized eggs. I read that pheasant eggs can have bluish or olive tones. I'm trying to decipher if this is a chicken egg or a pheasant egg. If anyone could help me, that'd be great thanks!
20200326_161152.jpg

The smallest one would be the egg I found. The other two are just for size and colour comparison (they are chicken eggs).

@007Sean ?? my birds haven’t started laying yet this spring for me to give you any personal experience but i thought ringneck eggs were more cream color.....
Chinese ring necked pheasant eggs are a brownish tan color, Black necked or Southern Caucasian pheasants have greenish blue tint to their eggs.
I'll post some pics when I get home.

Chinese ring necked pheasant eggs are a brownish tan color, Black necked or Southern Caucasian pheasants have greenish blue tint to their eggs.
I dont know if this makes a difference, but he is melanistic mutant ringneck
Are black necked the same as melanistic mutants? Because the rooster is a melanistic mutant (partially at least).

I dont know if this makes a difference, but he is melanistic mutant ringneck

Are black necked the same as melanistic mutants? Because the rooster is a melanistic mutant (partially at least).
No, Southern Caucasian or Black necked are not the same as a Melanistic.
Melanistic egg's are a dark green, olive color.
Here's a pic, the colors don't show up in the pic like they do if in person.
20200327_071412.jpg

I just found an egg in my coop yard. I have ring neck pheasants mixed in with chickens, some of which are blue/green egg layers. The chickens are not young, so they are laying full sized eggs. I read that pheasant eggs can have bluish or olive tones. I'm trying to decipher if this is a chicken egg or a pheasant egg. If anyone could help me, that'd be great thanks!View attachment 2063312
The smallest one would be the egg I found. The other two are just for size and colour comparison (they are chicken eggs).
Pheasant eggs need 53 to 55 humidity and yes smaller one is a pheasant she will probably lay every other day and if u get a bad egg in the incubator I would mark it and put it out there where she nest and I do that and it encourages her to lay more for some odd reason mine have never exploded on me nor on my birds but good luck pheasant are a good market to get into

@007Sean ?? my birds haven’t started laying yet this spring for me to give you any personal experience but i thought ringneck eggs were more cream color.....
That weird my rings have been laying greenish color like that and I don’t have chickens I mean there in with other types of game birds such as valleys and bobs but there eggs are supper small so maybe mine could different subspecies of a ring neck but anyways mine are greenish blue

Back
Top Bottom