Pheasant - eye swollen with discharge

BlueEggs4Life

Songster
11 Years
Jun 5, 2009
West Michigan
Tonight I found my female pheasant with a swollen eye - to the point the eye is not visible anymore. It is swollen around and under the eye and discharge coming from the eye area as well as nasal passages. Both "nose" holes are clogged and she's breathing through the mouth. It's been raining all week but she seemed fine just yesterday. I've cleaned off her beak as best I could but it appears to be leaking from the swollen area into her nasal passage? So she still breaths through her mouth. I have placed her in a cage in the coop (she won't go inside on her own, ever...and I wanted her dry and warmer and hopefully not getting picked on) but I am worried about passing a possible infection on to my other birds...I've never seen this before so not sure if it's contagious or not. Other than getting some Tylan from the vet in the a.m. any other ideas of what I can do right now? Should I attempt to wipe up the discharge over the eye or leave it be? She hate being handled so I'm leaning toward not stressing her out any more than needed and just placing vitamins in the water for tonight. Any input is appreciated - have you dealt with this before? Prognosis?

Thank you!

The vet gave me Baytril pills - half a pill twice a day for 2 weeks. Both birds ended up getting sick and needed the meds, but they have both recovered now.
smile.png
It was a stressful two weeks though, that's for sure! The chickens ended up with respiratory issues also, but no swollen eyes - tylan worked for them in the water.

Back
Top Bottom