Pheasant hybrids known to ornithologists- and few still unknown

SarahRackowski

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2020
New Jersey, USA
info taken from the paper: "Hybridization and zoogeographic patterns in pheasants" Johnsgard, P. A. (1983) I have attached a link at the bottom, this post is a distilled version on the paper.
hybridizing pheasants can be a controversial and sometimes taboo topic, however, the fascinating ramifications for zoology, especially in the understanding of speciation cannot be ignored.
According to Johnsgard, the following intertribal hybrids are known to exist, however, all have a degree of dubiousness to them- any further documentation would be helpful. If you know of any of the birds listed in this section or have a photo, please share!

x*-this hybrid account lacks sufficient documentation, if you have any info on a bird that you believe to be this hybrid, please post it!
x**-this hybrid was created through artificial means

x*** photo exists
domestic chicken x willow ptarmigan
silver pheasant x black grouse*
ringneck pheasant x pinnated grouse*
ringneck pheasant x capercaillie*
ringneck pheasant x rock ptarmigan*
ringneck pheasant x red grouse*
ringneck pheasant x blue grouse*
ringneck pheasant x black grouse
domestic chicken x common guineafowl***
domestic chicken x vulturine guineafowl
ringneck pheasant x common guineafowl*
Indian peafowl x common guineafowl*
Cabot's tragopan x mitred guineafowl
Indian peafowl x domestic turkey
domestic chicken x domestic turkey
ringneck pheasant x domestic turkey**
domestic chicken x curassow sp.*
domestic chicken x blue-billed curassow*
domestic chicken x guan sp.*
domestic chicken x scrub-turkey*
All of the hybrids with proper documentation have been documented as infertile.
Johnsgard also notes that, much to his surprise, no new world quail x pheasant or new world quail x partridge hybrids have been recorded.

white eared phesant x blue eared phesant
In areas where phesants live feral, other hybrids have been recored occoring naturally:
ringneck phesant x reeve's phesant
lady amhearst's phesant x golden phesant
hybrids known to exist in captivity are too many to name here so I have inluded this chart which names the known hybrids and thier fertility, if you know of any hybrids given a "white box" please post all you know!

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 9.35.05 AM.png

The Dodo was killed by overhunting.

Today's commonly kept pheasant species, Ringneck, Lady Amherst, Red Golden, Reeves, are legally and scientifically domestic, even though Ringneck do fall under gamebird protections in many areas they have been introduced. In their native areas, all of these species are listed as "least concern". Their non-native areas are legion and historic. There are records of Marco Polo bringing them from the Orient, where they'd been commonly kept for centuries. (His books are fascinating. And your birds may well descend from ones he brought) There are even older records of Romans bringing them to Britain in the 10th century.

In other words, chill.

Now, there's an awful lot in the way of day to day about these birds I don't know. Like, I can't tell one kind of chick or egg from another. BUT, as far as the history of agriculture and commonly kept species, historically significant breeds and agricultural practices and changes through the years, my knowledge is thorough. It's literally my job (agritourism and education), my hobby and my preferred area of study. Hybridization hasn't made any species of pheasant extinct in a thousand years and isn't going to now.

wow! fascinating bird
Indeed. Most of these type of males are sterile, their gonad(testes) development is halted early in their lives, but I have always wondered if they were subject of hormonal treatment to simulate normal testosterone levels, would these type of males court and mate with females? Will they develop spurs, male plumage? So far I have not find any research on this.

Like this research done on Hybrid Cat Fish.

EFFECTS OF MATURATIONAL HORMONE TREATMENT ON SPERMATOGENESIS OF HYBRID CATFISH
https://agris.fao.org/agris-search/search.do?recordID=AV2012087032

Edit.

Here is a research on the effect of testosterone implantation on Leghorn Capons. Basically the Capons with testosterone implants show increase in comb size, length and weight. non treated Capons show hen like combs, the treated capons show a comb size very similar to the intact males.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0032579119401302

I theorize that testosterone implants on Hybrid males will produce males that are sexually active and even may promote spermatogenesis

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom