Pheasant is scalped :(

SunBaked

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Southwest
So I have 3 silver pheasants about 4 months old who have lived together since they hatched. I kinda had a feeling based on the tail color (2 have more white speckles on them) that 2 may be boys and 1 a girl. Since they aren't mature and haven't colored all the way out I figured the boys wouldn't fight yet. Well today I found one with blood around his nose and his head scalped. Just raw bloody skin no feathers on most of his head. I feel so bad I didn't separate them sooner
hit.gif

I brought him inside in a large parrot cage and washed off his head and put on topical antibiotic (which he was not happy about let me tell you). Should I start him on antibiotics just in case? I have Tylan 200 and teramycin on hand but can ask my feed store to order another kind if it's better. Any advise for me?

My poor baby
sad.png
Are pheasants as resilient as chickens? I hope he will be okay
hit.gif

**edit** He is doing okay today. He didn't eat all morning just kinda sat in the corner but now he is up and eating and walking around.

Last edited:
He should be fine, just keep up the ointment and make sure nothing gets infected. He may heal looking like he's had a bit of a facelift, but otherwise I had had some really really bad ones and they healed well. Just get them all separated.

Thank you chickenzoo
smile.png
. Gorac is doing very good. The top of his head you can see the scab where the skin used to be but it is healing very quick thankfully. No sign of infection. Oddly enough he has taken to mothering my 3 newest hatched peachicks. I don't ever leave them alone together but when I am there I let them out and he will spend all his time making cute noises to them and showing them stuff to peck at. It's very cute.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom