Pheasant Noise Levels

LyrebirdJacki

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Darwin Australia
Hello,

I am an experienced poultry breeder of many chickens, turkeys, ducks, quails and avairy birds. I want to try out pheasants now.

Some quick questions on pheasants that would be greatly appreiciated if answered:

1. Do pheasants make much noise? The only pheasants currently available in my area are the golden pheasants, however do any other vaireties have a high level of noise? I've tried youtube for golden pheasant calls and cant find much more than a quiet cluck noise. The amherst's making a hissing noise during courtship. Do they at all crow, screech or call loudly? Do the chicks make much noise as well? Doesnt matter as much as the adults of course.

2. Food wise, which birds would be best for eating? So far jumbo ringnecks seem the go, but I do like the ornamental varieties as well. Main reason that I am asking is due to when I get male young, that it's quite hard to sell within the poultry market (Usually have an influx of drakes, roosters or roo quails and no hens...). I do eat my own birds, but it would be pointless plucking a bag of bones with no meat for the table. Do their eggs do well on the table also?

3. Climate. Are there any variety of pheasant that can not withstand hot weather? I live in the tropics that is just hitting "monsoon" or wet season, which is a regular 31+ degrees celcius with a veeery high humidity.

4. Do domesticated pheasants fly? I haven't quite put time aside to research pheasants, as I haven't yet decided as to if I want to start them yet. I assume that they do fly, and I do have the room however I need to fix the roof of my avairy. Does clipping wings help or are they good jumpers as well? Have had problems with chickens flying out of their coops before...

5. Do the pheasants willingly incubate their own eggs? Would using an incubator be better?

6. Can you mix pheasant species? Just by looking at them, they come across as an aggressive bird.

Any other things that I may need to know with general care would also help out. I feed my birds a well balanced diet, differing depending on their requirements. Of course I would research food (along with everything else, its just easier and quicker to ask the experienced) way before I purchase any pheasants.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am an experienced poultry breeder of many chickens, turkeys, ducks, quails and avairy birds. I want to try out pheasants now.

Some quick questions on pheasants that would be greatly appreiciated if answered:

1. Do pheasants make much noise? The only pheasants currently available in my area are the golden pheasants, however do any other vaireties have a high level of noise? I've tried youtube for golden pheasant calls and cant find much more than a quiet cluck noise. The amherst's making a hissing noise during courtship. Do they at all crow, screech or call loudly? Do the chicks make much noise as well? Doesnt matter as much as the adults of course.

2. Food wise, which birds would be best for eating? So far jumbo ringnecks seem the go, but I do like the ornamental varieties as well. Main reason that I am asking is due to when I get male young, that it's quite hard to sell within the poultry market (Usually have an influx of drakes, roosters or roo quails and no hens...). I do eat my own birds, but it would be pointless plucking a bag of bones with no meat for the table. Do their eggs do well on the table also?

3. Climate. Are there any variety of pheasant that can not withstand hot weather? I live in the tropics that is just hitting "monsoon" or wet season, which is a regular 31+ degrees celcius with a veeery high humidity.

4. Do domesticated pheasants fly? I haven't quite put time aside to research pheasants, as I haven't yet decided as to if I want to start them yet. I assume that they do fly, and I do have the room however I need to fix the roof of my avairy. Does clipping wings help or are they good jumpers as well? Have had problems with chickens flying out of their coops before...

5. Do the pheasants willingly incubate their own eggs? Would using an incubator be betterhttp://ibc.lynxeds.com/?

6. Can you mix pheasant species? Just by looking at them, they come across as an aggressive bird.

Any other things that I may need to know with general care would also help out. I feed my birds a well balanced diet, differing depending on their requirements. Of course I would research food (along with everything else, its just easier and quicker to ask the experienced) way before I purchase any pheasants.

Thanks!
As for pheasants sounds check out http://ibc.lynxeds.com/?For pheasant info www gbwf.org.
!.Pheasants are noisiest in breeding seasonJan-Feb,but do occationally call thruout the year.
2.Jumbos are your best bet for eating.Plenty of meat and not pricey.
3.Most pheasants can withstand all climates.Your peacock pheasants and firebacks do require heat in the cold months,but I guess you are exempt from cold.
4.Yes,they do fly.
,so they will need a covered pen.Cutting their wings will help,but will also leave them defenseless to any intruders.Flight is their only defense.
6.You can mix pheasants,but I do not recommend it.Pheasants are dissappearing fast in their natural habitates and we need to keep them as pure as possible for the future.
Pheasants should be fed a gamebird feed,plus fruits,and veggies.They love peanuts(unsalted)cranberries,pumpkin,wild birds seed.
Any more questions feel free to ask.
In N.H.,Tony.

One note on the sounds, I have been told ringnecks are the loudest of all the pheasants, and in comparison to a rooster with how loud they are. This is my first year raising pheasants, and my ringneck roo is nowhere even close to being as loud as a rooster is. Hes louder than my chukars and quails, but not ear piercing or loud enough to annoy the neighbors either(And I do live in a neighborhood) I could honestly say, none of my neighbors probably even know I have birds in my backyard.

For food- Ringnecked pheasant all the way. You don't want to be eating birds that could be sold for $75 + each as alot of of ornamental pheasants can go for.

If you can find any, Palawan peacocks are really cool looking birds if you want an ornamental.

Ringnecks aren't considered "ornamental", but I think they're really pretty birds. Heres a pic of my roo (about 6 months old)

With all of the other poultry you raise,why are you worried about noises?Ducks are much louder then any pheasant.As for palawans,these are very touchy birds and not for someone just starting in pheasants.Their diet is a little different then most pheasant species.His climate is perfect for them though.They are not very cheap either.I believe they are going for around 600.00-800.00 per pair.I have the grey peacocks and I love'em.Hopefully I will have germains and palawans.
In N.H.,Tony.

some species dont do well in a moist hot environment, such a impeyans(himilayan monals), koklass, or the eared phesants, as they are from very cold climates.

Last edited:
Didn't end up going for pheasants, got bobwhites instead for my avairy. But there is always another time and place for everything so it gives me time to research a little more before I try them.

I was concerned about noise due to that despite having chickens, ducks and turkeys, it's only when I get a rooster (I buy the eggs and hatch them, I don't ever have a rooster for long) that I get complaints and have to put him on the table. So unless he fertilizes me some baby chickens, I have to get them elsewhere. Neighbours don't mind the ducks since they have all had them before, and the drakes don't make noise. Never had a complaint about a turkey either, so don't know their opinion on them either.

As for quails, I don't even think they know I own them....let alone have quite a number of them :D

I suppose it was more about how regular their noise is. I had roosters crowing 3am and even late into the night which was just a no go. Yet all the neighbourhood dogs get it off so easy and they take the cake for the most noise!!!

On a side note your pheasant roo is gorgeous! Definatly underrated for plumage, I do agree that they look amazing as well. How many do you raise?

I have a pair of red goldens. The male is driving me crazy. It's breeding season here, and he starts with this ear piercing noise about three o'clock in the morning, and continues every 10 seconds until he finally mates with the hen around 8 am

I have a pair of red goldens. The male is driving me crazy. It's breeding season here, and he starts with this ear piercing noise about three o'clock in the morning, and continues every 10 seconds until he finally mates with the hen around 8 am
But their calls are so neat.It will only last for another month.
In N.H.,Tony.

hello, I'd like to revive this thread, I live in the city limits w/ neighbors around and if someone could suggest if pheasants are ok to have, meaning not load (quiet) and that type?
thank you

Back
Top Bottom