1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pheasants free ranging......

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by PeacockMan, Nov 17, 2012.

1. PeacockMan

PeacockMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2012
    Can pheasants be free ranged in large pens without them taking off?

2. De Wet

De Wet Chillin' With My Peeps

they actually can if you pinion the one wing i got silvers which walked on 50 x 50 meters....

3. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    They may not be able to "take off" but you leave them pretty much defenseless to predators.

4. De Wet

It depends in which enviroment you keep the birds

5. fowlsessed

fowlsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Well will they return to roost in the same spot if you let them out of their pen? Or will they leave the place and you'll loose them?
    Thanks,

6. De Wet

well i kept mine in a big yard so if you keep them in a big enclosure with no fence and nature calls they will be gone...

7. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Oh, that's to bad. I don't care very much for birds that have to be penned 24/7. I actually read that some people let their silvers out in the yard, didn't say what the results where, though lol.
    Thanks

8. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    When you raise quail and pheasants you pretty much have to keep in mind that they are wild birds. They may get accustomed to your presense but they will never be TAME. If you like birds in your yard it would probably be best to stick to chickens. I raise over 200 pheasants and occasionaly have one who makes his way to the outside world, no matter how long I have had them they never return.

9. fowlsessed

Nov 16, 2011
    east Tennessee
    Yea, okay. I guess I'll stick with the peafowl, as they have an exotic air to them and can be allowed to range.
    Thanks for your advice,

10. adriano

adriano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Ireland
    Of all the pheasants i have heard people free ranged are silver pheasants.
    Pioned in a secure yard or area.
    Some not pioned but raised by bantams and grew up and hung with the chickens every day .
    I have not done it but these are the ones i hear most often at sale shows when people see the silvers etc i sell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by