Pheasants

i didnt even know what i was getting,,,my "chicken lady" said,,,would you like a pair of pheasants ,,, i said,,,ya,, why not ,, was expecting ringnecks,,,,,,got goldens,,, then i see a pic of a full grown male,,,,,and then i FREAKED,,hehe,, now im like a little kid,,,waiting for x-mas,,,hehe
big_smile.png

Quote:
:mad:

Why not try to find pure birds and then attempt to breed? What you have planned is not a good idea to say the least and if the hybrids you breed make it out to public, can possibly ruin years of hard work and dedication of aviculturists who have been trying to keep these species pure.

Here is a line that I have on my site - Unfortunately, many species are vulnerable to man's pressures on the environment and are now in danger of extinction. Responsible aviculture can aid in the future survival for a number of species. - What you have planned is not responsible aviculture.

Dan

Quote:
:mad:

Why not try to find pure birds and then attempt to breed? What you have planned is not a good idea to say the least and if the hybrids you breed make it out to public, can possibly ruin years of hard work and dedication of aviculturists who have been trying to keep these species pure.

Here is a line that I have on my site - Unfortunately, many species are vulnerable to man's pressures on the environment and are now in danger of extinction. Responsible aviculture can aid in the future survival for a number of species. - What you have planned is not responsible aviculture.

Dan

These are my first birds and it seems I am not the only person here who is mixin' the breeds and IF I sell any of my birds I will inform them of what the the mix is. I can not wait years to get PURE breed birds. I just enjoy the birds and learning to love them!!!!

Quote:
Your first sentence describes the problem - unlike domestic chickens, pheasants are wild species, not breeds. If a chicken breed is crossed, with selective breeding, you can achieve what appears to that breed again. Doesn't work that way with a species, no matter how well you selective breed, that bird will always hold the DNA of another species.

You don't have wait years to get a pure golden, e-mail me you location and I can send you recommendations. I just hate to see a beginner to pheasant aviculture start out like this. If I kept Golden, I'd send you a pair free of charge if you promised not to hybridize the species and I know there are others out there who would do the same.

Dan

The hybrids between ringnecks and goldens or reeves or amhearsts are really only good for one thing: taxidermy. I know a few breeders that got some 'accident' birds when a pen was left open or a hole was found in a pen. They raised them up and sold them dead for taxidermy.

Back
Top Bottom