Phenobarbital Questions: Dog

This might be a stretch but I'm hoping someone here has knowledge on Phenobarbital for dogs with idiopathic epilepsy.
My dog has just started Phenobarbital and is being given it twice a day. I want the treatment to be as successful as possible and have a few questions that I forgot to ask the vet / they didn't seem too confident in answering.

I'm giving it to him twice a day every 12 hours. I know if they skip a dose, it can cause them to have a seizure, so how much time do I have between doses? If he gets his PM med at 9, and I come home late (or go to a movie, etc..) and give it to him at 11PM one night, am I risking him having a seizure due to a missed dose?

I read they need a consistent diet as the amount of fats, carbs, and proteins he consumes each day can cause the medicine to be less or more effective. Any other diet tips? He's on a good quality kibble currently and I'm adding cook ground beef mixed in to help curb the appetite increase.

Also, what can I do to protect his liver?

Thank you to anyone who has any suggestions or articles they can link. Trying to become as knowledgeable about this medication as possible as I really hoped I wouldn't have to end up putting him on it. Worried for his future health and longevity and I haven't been successful in finding much "nitty gritty" info online.
My thoughts based on my experience.. If you are a couple hours late for his dose and he has a seizure it's likely his dose is too low it may take a while to find a therapeutic dose (which is why they need him to return for phenobarb levels bloodwork). We always dispense valium to have on hand as well in the event of a seizure and to prevent clusters. Sam E and tumeric are good supplements for the liver though i'd double check with the Dr. First to make sure it's ok for him. Also if giving ground beef i'd just make sure you separate from the fat, extra fat will slow liver function as it clogs it up.

My thoughts based on my experience.. If you are a couple hours late for his dose and he has a seizure it's likely his dose is too low it may take a while to find a therapeutic dose (which is why they need him to return for phenobarb levels bloodwork). We always dispense valium to have on hand as well in the event of a seizure and to prevent clusters. Sam E and tumeric are good supplements for the liver though i'd double check with the Dr. First to make sure it's ok for him. Also if giving ground beef i'd just make sure you separate from the fat, extra fat will slow liver function as it clogs it up.

Thank you!
They didn’t give us Valium to take home, I’ll ask the vet about it when we go back for follow up blood work. Would be great to have on hand to give us time to get to a vet if he experiences more cluster seizures. There was a point between the seizures when he was so frantic there was no way for us to catch him and put him in the car.

Thank you!
They didn’t give us Valium to take home, I’ll ask the vet about it when we go back for follow up blood work. Would be great to have on hand to give us time to get to a vet if he experiences more cluster seizures. There was a point between the seizures when he was so frantic there was no way for us to catch him and put him in the car.
Yes definately ask, we send home tablets and if owners administer during a seizure they crush them up mix with water and give rectally if they dont get it in time they are instructed to give by mouth following a seizure to prevent clusters. I'm sorry you are going through this but a lot of dogs can be treated succesfully. Seizures are terrifying for the owner and the pet.

Yes definately ask, we send home tablets and if owners administer during a seizure they crush them up mix with water and give rectally if they dont get it in time they are instructed to give by mouth following a seizure to prevent clusters. I'm sorry you are going through this but a lot of dogs can be treated succesfully. Seizures are terrifying for the owner and the pet.
It’s heartbreaking knowing my fairly young, super active pup will never get to live a life of full freedom but I’m praying we’ll be able to manage his seizures effectively and he’ll get to continue to live a happy life.
Thank you for your advice and kind words.

He can have a great life, if things can be managed.
Mary
Really hoping this will be the case. He’s my first personal dog (not a family dog) and we’ve put in so much training and work together. We’re very closely bonded; I’ve known him since the day after he was born. Everyone always comments, “that dog never takes his eyes off you”. He’s truly my entire world and closest friend. I don’t know how I’ll cope when his time eventually comes.

I agree that a couple of hours either direction “shouldn’t” cause a problem. (Standard practice in humans is to allow for an hour either direction of the scheduled time a med should be given) That being said there are always those that are very sensitive to meds or change. This may take a little while to fine tune things but you WILL learn what works best for you.

Back
Top Bottom