Pheonix and cochin genetics question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IwannaBEaMERMAID, Dec 28, 2009.

1. IwannaBEaMERMAID

IwannaBEaMERMAID Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    i have 1 bantam barred, and 1 white bantam cochin ( only because they has the worlds quietest crow) and 2 white cochin pullets,1 BO, 2 sultan,1silver and 1gold pheonix all female. so if i breed the cochin with the pheonix, and they produce a male, will the male have pheonix male feathering and a long tail?? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    cochin to phoenix makes what is called an ohiki. They are basically short legged phoenix. Not sure if you get it on F1's or if you have to cross the F1's back to the phoenix one more time, but Ohiki is the end result of the cross. There is loads of information on them on the Onagadori forum website if you are interested in them.
    Or goggle
    ohiki to see pics of them, pretty cool looking!

3. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Ohhhh ....i'v never heard of such a thing TO GOOGLE I GO!!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Following.

5. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] i just googled them and........I LIKE THEM!![​IMG] [​IMG] there sooo short and plump, only question is, do they have feathered legs [​IMG]. and if u can post a link to the Onagadori forum that would be great!! [​IMG]

6. IwannaBEaMERMAID

Oct 28, 2009
    Beverly Hills, CA
    OH !! another question what color of cochin (male or female) should i be to the pheonix (male or female) to get the color of the chick to be a pheonix. THANX agian [​IMG]

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:well phoenix come in every color availabe now, so any thing you have would work.
    I'll have to go back and see what colors you have, and I cant get back to you on what they will make.
    As for feathered shanks, the F1 may well get it, that's something that probley has to be breed back to tha phoenix to remove.
    here's the link, loads of info there, hole section dedicated to them....

http://www.onagadori.net/

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    okay, depending on what type of whites you have, with the white cochin, over your phoenix girls, you should get either all whites, or white, silver and gold. My white phoenix roos are breed over white silver and gold hens, and produce all 3 colors.
    If you use the barred roo. F1's will probley be all barred, breed them back to the phoenix again the next year, and should get bared golds and silvers..Either would be very cool. Some one my chime in and tell me I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's how it'll work.
    You can also get yourself new colors in either breed and play with them.

9. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Their like Cochins wiyh long tails [​IMG]

10. kychickmom

kychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    NKY
    Hi all, I have 4 or 5 Ohiki cockerels that are project birds. I started the ohiki project about 6 months ago and realized I don't hve the space to keep building more pens. [​IMG] These birds are my Bantam Silver Phoenix bred to our Bantam Mottled Cochin roo. They are about 6 months old and are mostly dark in color. This is the first gen. and they have lightly feathered legs...I hate to get rid of them but I just don't have the space.. If anyone is interested in stared project birds send me a message and I will email you the pictures....I would rather someone who is working on this project get them than take them to a sale in the spring...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by