Pheonix Thread

Have all ways loved Pheonix chickens from the first time I encountered them at a show somewhere north of Houston Tx. (Also Sumatras) I have eight coming from Cackle. Four gold duckwing and four silver duckwing.

I keep reading that chicks that come from hatcheries are not the best stock to start with. Would it be better to actually go to a show and seek out some birds there if I wanted to dip my toes in showing?

I have ordered the SOP and was thinking that It might be more rewording to work towards the SOP my self with what I get.

Have all ways loved Pheonix chickens from the first time I encountered them at a show somewhere north of Houston Tx. (Also Sumatras) I have eight coming from Cackle. Four gold duckwing and four silver duckwing.

I keep reading that chicks that come from hatcheries are not the best stock to start with. Would it be better to actually go to a show and seek out some birds there if I wanted to dip my toes in showing?

I have ordered the SOP and was thinking that It might be more rewording to work towards the SOP my self with what I get.
Yes. None of my hatchery pheonixes are good representation of the breed. They're pretty, sure, but you can tell just by glancing my hatcheries versus the worked on ones

Do you think he's a Phoenix?

Do you think he's a Phoenix?
I don't know for sure but I did a search and this is what I've found. Check the link for an informational write up w/ links to the breed club.

Phoenix

SilPhoenYngPr.JPEG

(not my pic) This is a picture of a pair of young silver duckwing Phoenix from the same site.

So while I can not say for sure, but compering these he might look like one? Maybe? I've only ever judged horses and cattle at shows (in a 4H capacity and done well). So I look up the standard and try to go by the points in it to make a guess at this point on chickens.

View attachment 2159519

Well the egg is long (I really couldn’t tell which end was which) and tinted, came in pretty good shape, not to dirty, I sprayed with 3% H2O2... It was well packaged like before. I suck at candling... so we will see on day 10 how it looks. I am not messing with the egg till day 10.

If we get a chick I will post and try give updates so everyone can see how it progresses.

”Longtails” what I understand.... roll of the dice what you get.

First they are a mix of breeds so exactly what genetics will be expressed is a big question... will it have pea or single comb or some other comb... they can have a lot of stuff in them when you just think about it... thus skin and leg color will probably vary, ear lobe color too.

In looking at peoples experiments that they have shared in LT breeding, people have added genetic hackle lines, Sumatra, Pheonix, Yokohama, various game fowl, Leghorn, various Jungle Fowl Species and more... so what I expect is wait and see... best would be a chick that matures into a bird like we see in the Japanese Onagadori, if the breeder has that goal. I would be happy with just nm genetics and no major defects all else I can work with or on towards a Pheonix with nm genes.

However the Japanese breed has characteristics different than the German Pheonix... but the German Pheonix might have some Korean roots?

Of interest to me is that in 1904 Japan invaded Korea and shortly there after all of Korea’s Longtail chickens vanish (along with their version of the bonsai tree and many other cultural treasures) but an article here and there seem to indicate... the Chickens went to Japan and then at least some were resold from Japan to the West... I have read the description of the Korean birds and they sound a lot like Pheonix characteristics... leg color, earlobes etc... so interesting to me to try and get some nm genes into my birds...
I had never heard about that. That is interesting and something to follow up on!

Heyyy I don't want to restart a dead thread if that's a faux pas here but I was wondering if anyone on this thread still raises phoenix? I got some crosses from a local chicken lady and they've become my favorite birds in the flock. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom