Phiber's Coop Build

PhiberOptikx

Chirping
Oct 3, 2014
I thought that after seeing all of the wonderful and beautiful coops on here that I would document the building of my chicken shanty for all to see. My construction skills are laughably lacking so this build is also to show those who are nervous to set the first nail that it can be done. To start, I dug my four treated corner posts and set them with quickcrete and some leftover mortar I wanted to get rid of.

After that I built the foundation using treated 2x6 to connect the four posts. This gave me the frame for my foundation so that I could start to place the subfloor planks.

After you are happy with your subfloor it is time to put your floor boards on top of them. I highly recommend using a treated floor. If you were paying close attention and measuring this whole time you will come out square and essentially just be able to line up your flooring perfectly and screw it into place. I am not that good so I ended up having to make several cuts to get the floor on just right. In the end I was happy with it and it holds me just fine.

Now you can start framing. Be sure you have a very good idea of where you want all doors, windows, and opening before you start a wall.

That is as far as I have gotten so far. Hopefully this weekend weather permitting I can have the roof and siding finished. I can't wait to get these smelly poop machines out of my spare bedroom!

Your coop is shaping up nicely! Keep us posted on how it goes.

btw, your Iris are beautiful!

Nice start......I love a good coop build thread!!!

Are you going to use hardware cloth to keep chickens and anything else from getting under the coop.....
....or do you have someone skinny enough to crawl under there if needed?

Nice start......I love a good coop build thread!!!

Are you going to use hardware cloth to keep chickens and anything else from getting under the coop.....
....or do you have someone skinny enough to crawl under there if needed?

X2 on both counts - great start and definitely consider the underneath issue. Having it raised can afford the birds a good place to get into some shade and cover, but with a footprint this large it would be smart to keep them from having access deeper than you can comfortably reach (especially if that reach will be from the run which also includes laying in the run full of less than desirable substances)

Sorry to anyone that had been following along. I got a little sidetracked this year lol. The birds are doing great and love the finished coop.. They have been in it since around June. I had to add a poultry net because I kept losing birds. Now that they are more mature they just hop the fence but I haven't lost a bird since summer.

Back
Top Bottom