Philadelphia, PA

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by urbaner, Jan 13, 2010.

1. urbaner

urbaner Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2010
    I know chickens are illegal here but does anyone know the laws about quail in the City of Brotherly Love? I can't seem to find anything about it. I also cannot find any information on keeping bees. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    I don't know about quail, but I would not recommend bees!

3. MBreen

MBreen New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    If you are interested in helping us legalize chickens in Philadelphia, please like Philadelphia Backyard Chickens on facebook. Throughout November we will be building support, finding out our connections, running some campaign activities and then approaching city council and the mayor in December.

Saxesmith likes this.
  4. MBreen

MBreen New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    Search Philadelphia City Code and read section 10. Quail are not specifically named as prohibited, but any farm animal that creates a nuisance is prohibited.

Saxesmith likes this.
  5. Saxesmith

Saxesmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Yes, please do join our Facebook group! We are about to launch a study of how much food waste we can divert from the city's waste stream by feeding kitchen scraps to our backyard flocks. The Study will begin on September 1st. Participating households will receive a certificate stating that they are part of this research study. Since educational and scientific uses provide an exemption to the chicken ban in Philly, our legal theory (still untested) is that participating in this study qualifies for the exemption. In any case it will be easy (just weigh and record those lettuce leaves, fruit parings, etc. you throw out to your hens) and may provide us with yet another argument as to the benefit of backyard chicken keeping, to help us eventually overturn this ordinance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by