Phoenix Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SunAngel, Aug 5, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Any guesses on whether or not this is a roo? I have another one, but her tail is much shorter and she's a bit smaller. S/he is 11 weeks old. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    S/he looks like my 13 week old, whom I think is a female. I, also, have two females of the same breed (cochins) that differ in size...

3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Looks like a hen. They're a longtailed breed, so dispite the tail being so long, I'd still say it's a hen.

4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    That doesn't look anything like my phoenix roo, but it does look a lot like his daughter. I think it's a pullet.

5. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Thanks for the help!

Keeping my fingers crossed for a pullet. The face didn't seem very roo'ish, but the tail feathers had me wondering.

6. jose408

jose408 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2008
    san jose california
    she is a Hen no rooster looks like that

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a phoenix and that is a hen [​IMG] NOW I think my little one who is about 4 weeks old, is a roo because seems his/her comb is already bigger then yours! LOL OH BOY! Now the question on weather or not I keep him. Yours is a beauty! Were you hoping for a roo?

8. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    No, I am trying to assemble a laying flock, which is harder than it sounds. I sure hope this one is a hen.

I already have my 2 roos picked out that I want to keep...a Gray Silkie and a Blue Bantam Cochin. But one by one, my 20+ chickens seem to be turning into roos! I am probably exaggerating a little bit, but with each one that turns out to be a roo, it makes me sadder. My Blue Andalusian and Buff Brahma have already started crowing and it looks like my Buff Polish and 2 EEs might also be roos. Jury is still out on my 4 other Silkies.

9. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Definately pullet, congrats!

10. SunAngel

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Yay, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by