Photography dump. Critiques welcomed. DIAL UP WARNING

Quote:
Thanks so much, totally appreciate your imput! Unfortunately, I don't have access to a dark room anymore, so pretty much all my pictures will be digital from here on out.
sad.png
I'll miss my alone time in the darkroom. I used to ditch a couple classes so that I could just stay in there printing printing printing. Everyone else would be out back smoking weed or watching movies and I'd just jam to some crazy music in the pitch black with my enlarger I named Bertha, making up to like 20 prints of the same picture till it looked like I wanted.... Ah, good times.

Quote:
Thanks so much, totally appreciate your imput! Unfortunately, I don't have access to a dark room anymore, so pretty much all my pictures will be digital from here on out.
sad.png
I'll miss my alone time in the darkroom. I used to ditch a couple classes so that I could just stay in there printing printing printing. Everyone else would be out back smoking weed or watching movies and I'd just jam to some crazy music in the pitch black with my enlarger I named Bertha, making up to like 20 prints of the same picture till it looked like I wanted.... Ah, good times.

While it would be fun to develop digital pics, the equipment is really really expensive, so I will stick with Target for the enlargements. I have a Canon pic printer that I use too and I love it. Check out different filters!!! Some are only $10-20. Fish eyes are FUN!!!

Depth of field in the frog looks too shallow. It would look better if the feet were in focus also.

From my photography past we were taught that for a black and white photo you should have gray scale ranging from white to black in the print.

I like the motion in the merry go round but there is a lot of washed out in the photo.

Quote:
The frog shot was a macro. I was about an inch away from it. Thus the shallow depth of field and the feet not being in focus. But I agree that it looks flat and boring.

I agree with the washed out on the merry go round

Thanks!
frow.gif

Now... I liked the frog pic, makes me want to pull out the lead and paper again... just may do that
wink.png

I agree with the overexposure on the B/W (speed limit sign excluded), not an expert by any means but I picked out something a bit off with them at first sight.

I like the frog, he's cute.

As to the critique: I am not as fond of the first photo, it seems a bit contrived to me. The giraffe picture has some neat grain texture to it, it's suits the rough image, though it's a bit flat for my taste. I agree that some of the B&W photos are a bit blown out, but the imagery of the girl going through the gate is suited to it. I like photos that are artfully blown out as long as it suits the image. There are no rules, only that you like it. I also really like the first portrait, it has a nice perspective to it and the depth of field range is right on to accentuate her eyes. Nicely done.

Have you ever heard of Holga cameras? They are cheap, plastic medium format cameras. The photos are funky, with the occasional vignetting, blurs and distortions. But out of every roll you will get at least one picture that makes you pause and say "Wow!". I mention it because the style you are shooting with would be well suited to a Holga.

For good quality, inexpensive prints try www.prolabexpress.com I have used them for years and they always give me the best professional prints. Plus, they are cheaper than you can get anywhere, including Target.

Back
Top Bottom