Photos of moving the Flying Fortress Tractor 3 miles

Thanks for the compliments! I have 12 hens and one rooster, he's good at leading my ladies, standing up for them, and good at keeping them under cover.

I've got a 17 pound Jack Russell Terrier, who initially wanted to chase the chickens, but after some disciplining from me, has become very good with the chickens, and never threatens them, to the point that three hens tried to take the rawhide bone he was chewing the other day. He tolerated it until three of them ganged up on him, then he just growled, got up and moved! That's tolerance!

What I like about the tractor I built is, I truly believe it cannot be penetrated at night by any predator, with perhaps the exception of a bear, which is extremely rare in central Virginia, so I don't worry about night time threats at all.

However, during free ranging of course they're vulnerable. Knock on wood, in almost six months, I haven't had any attacks or losses.

I do have hawks, eagles, raccoons, skunks, and possums though. I'm letting my dog out of the house more during the day, especially when it's above 40 degrees.

The beauty of the tractor though, is if ever the predator threat was too great for all day free range, which they do now, I could simply keep them in the tractor when I wasn't in the yard. It's a beautiful setup and would still be a very pleasant life for them, and no predators could reach them. If I ever had to do that, I would move the tractor twice a week, instead of once a week like I do now.

It's such a great thing to be able to offer them completely fresh, poop free grass in their tractor, every time I move it, leaving last week's poop on the ground behind us as fertilizer.

Ironically, I believe the systems I've incorporated into this tractor, would also make it a great stationary coop for someone who only had a small bit of land in their backyard. The only benefit they would lose is they'd have to deal with the poop, as with all stationary coops.

I think one of the more radical aspects of this tractor is the complete elimination of the traditional separate coop. This is made possible because of the the complete devotion to making what would normally be a daytime run into an absolutely secure enclosure. I believe this greatly increases the efficiency of the entire system, since all the space is now completely available at all times, instead of devoting a lot of resources into a coop that's not a pleasant place for them except at night.

You'll notice I took every possible opportunity to keep my grassy ground space clear and open for grazing in the tractor. The only two items that infringe on the ground space are the hanging feeder and the hanging waterer. All other items have been hung high enough to graze beneath.

The scaffold braces, which gives the frame such incredible strength, are covered in pvc pipe with Gorilla tape, and the chickens love to perch on them and also use them to jump up onto the upper level attractions, like the dust box, roosting bar, and the roosting bars facing south at the open end of the tractor. In the winter, that's a very warm sunny spot for them.

I did a lot of research on dust baths (really on anything I do, very helpful sometimes, but I can get bogged down in details). I read a very interesting study by the University of California at Riverside, on the effect of sulphur in dust baths on mites and lice. It killed them both for many weeks, and because of the kicking chickens do while bathing, even killed the pests on chickens who didn't bathe. Wow!

Here's a link to the study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22458590/

I do have the advantage of a completely covered dust bath, its never exposed to rain, so it's always real dusty, which the chickens like. It's also hanging, which keeps other stuff from getting kicked in it, and it's really a very popular place for my 12 hens and one rooster. They love to roost on its edge, bathe in it, just lay in it, and use the extra space it provides in the tractor to run across and play, it's like a mezzanine for them. It's a few inches lower than the adjacent roosting bar, they jump back forth between them all the time.

Anyway, getting back to the point, because of the findings of that study, I do add a few cups of the purest sulphur I could find at the feed store, to their bath. Their bath is a 24 inch by 36 inch black plastic mortar mixing tub from Home Depot, I use the smaller version (18 inches by 24 inches) for their backup water supply when it's too cold to use the chicken nipple bucket.

I use a couple of 50 pound bags of sandbox sand from Home Depot (it's quite dusty), mix in some sulphur (a few cups), then toss in the same amount of diatomaceous Earth (as dusty as flour), which is good for killing pests too, then mix in some wood ash.

There have been times I didn't have any wood ash, and of course I couldn't add it. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

IMHO play sand and sulphur would be fine too by themselves. Some people don't like using diatomaceous Earth because it's so fine it can get in the chickens lungs. Maybe I've been around too long, but considering the short (compared to us) life spans of chickens, I'm not worried about the chickens perhaps getting lung cancer. Real world I just don't believe that's at all likely or even possible. Others disagree.

I do keep a metal scoop with holes in it, I think it was meant as a tool to sift ash from coals in a fireplace, and every day I take about 30 seconds to sift out any poop that got in the dust bath. Super easy and fast to do, the sand flows very quickly through, leaving the poop balls in the scoop, which I toss under the roosting bar.

One thing about my roosting bars I like, is it only takes a minute to run a 6 inch wide putty knife (buy the metal one, plastic breaks) down the roosting bars every day, knocking it on the ground, and left behind when I drag the tractor later in the week.

Ha ha, that's the full extent of me having to deal with poop, practically not at all. Even better, it's so healthy for the chickens, never even a whiff of ammonia.

I'm going to add a few photos to this post in a little while.

20180122_141302.jpg

This scoop makes lifting out any poop in the dust box fast and easy. The sand runs off fast, leaving the poop to toss on the ground.
20180122_141211.jpg

The 6 inch metal putty knife (technically a mud knife for applying drywall mud to drywall) is perfect because it's just a little wider than the five quarter deck board that's the roosting bar. Just a quick walk along the roosting board to knock the poop to the ground.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments! I have 12 hens and one rooster, he's good at leading my ladies, standing up for them, and good at keeping them under cover.

I've got a 17 pound Jack Russell Terrier, who initially wanted to chase the chickens, but after some disciplining from me, has become very good with the chickens, and never threatens them, to the point that three hens tried to take the rawhide bone he was chewing the other day. He tolerated it until three of them ganged up on him, then he just growled, got up and moved! That's tolerance!

What I like about the tractor I built is, I truly believe it cannot be penetrated at night by any predator, with perhaps the exception of a bear, which is extremely rare in central Virginia, so I don't worry about night time threats at all.

However, during free ranging of course they're vulnerable. Knock on wood, in almost six months, I haven't had any attacks or losses.

I do have hawks, eagles, raccoons, skunks, and possums though. I'm letting my dog out of the house more during the day, especially when it's above 40 degrees.

The beauty of the tractor though, is if ever the predator threat was too great for all day free range, which they do now, I could simply keep them in the tractor when I wasn't in the yard. It's a beautiful setup and would still be a very pleasant life for them, and no predators could reach them. If I ever had to do that, I would move the tractor twice a week, instead of once a week like I do now.

It's such a great thing to be able to offer them completely fresh, poop free grass in their tractor, every time I move it, leaving last week's poop on the ground behind us as fertilizer.

Ironically, I believe the systems I've incorporated into this tractor, would also make it a great stationary coop for someone who only had a small bit of land in their backyard. The only benefit they would lose is they'd have to deal with the poop, as with all stationary coops.

I think one of the more radical aspects of this tractor is the complete elimination of the traditional separate coop. This is made possible because of the the complete devotion to making what would normally be a daytime run into an absolutely secure enclosure. I believe this greatly increases the efficiency of the entire system, since all the space is now completely available at all times, instead of devoting a lot of resources into a coop that's not a pleasant place for them except at night.

You'll notice I took every possible opportunity to keep my grassy ground space clear and open for grazing in the tractor. The only two items that infringe on the ground space are the hanging feeder and the hanging waterer. All other items have been hung high enough to graze beneath.

The scaffold braces, which gives the frame such incredible strength, are covered in pvc pipe with Gorilla tape, and the chickens love to perch on them and also use them to jump up onto the upper level attractions, like the dust box, roosting bar, and the roosting bars facing south at the open end of the tractor. In the winter, that's a very warm sunny spot for them.

I did a lot of research on dust baths (really on anything I do, very helpful sometimes, but I can get bogged down in details). I read a very interesting study by the University of California at Riverside, on the effect of sulphur in dust baths on mites and lice. It killed them both for many weeks, and because of the kicking chickens do while bathing, even killed the pests on chickens who didn't bathe. Wow!

Here's a link to the study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/22458590/

I do have the advantage of a completely covered dust bath, its never exposed to rain, so it's always real dusty, which the chickens like. It's also hanging, which keeps other stuff from getting kicked in it, and it's really a very popular place for my 12 hens and one rooster. They love to roost on its edge, bathe in it, just lay in it, and use the extra space it provides in the tractor to run across and play, it's like a mezzanine for them. It's a few inches lower than the adjacent roosting bar, they jump back forth between them all the time.

Anyway, getting back to the point, because of the findings of that study, I do add a few cups of the purest sulphur I could find at the feed store, to their bath. Their bath is a 24 inch by 36 inch black plastic mortar mixing tub from Home Depot, I use the smaller version (18 inches by 24 inches) for their backup water supply when it's too cold to use the chicken nipple bucket.

I use a couple of 50 pound bags of sandbox sand from Home Depot (it's quite dusty), mix in some sulphur (a few cups), then toss in the same amount of diatomaceous Earth (as dusty as flour), which is good for killing pests too, then mix in some wood ash.

There have been times I didn't have any wood ash, and of course I couldn't add it. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

IMHO play sand and sulphur would be fine too by themselves. Some people don't like using diatomaceous Earth because it's so fine it can get in the chickens lungs. Maybe I've been around too long, but considering the short (compared to us) life spans of chickens, I'm not worried about the chickens perhaps getting lung cancer. Real world I just don't believe that's at all likely or even possible. Others disagree.

I do keep a metal scoop with holes in it, I think it was meant as a tool to sift ash from coals in a fireplace, and every day I take about 30 seconds to sift out any poop that got in the dust bath. Super easy and fast to do, the sand flows very quickly through, leaving the poop balls in the scoop, which I toss under the roosting bar.

One thing about my roosting bars I like, is it only takes a minute to run a 6 inch wide putty knife (buy the metal one, plastic breaks) down the roosting bars every day, knocking it on the ground, and left behind when I drag the tractor later in the week.

Ha ha, that's the full extent of me having to deal with poop, practically not at all. Even better, it's so healthy for the chickens, never even a whiff of ammonia.

I'm going to add a few photos to this post in a little while.

View attachment 1243820
This scoop makes lifting out any poop in the dust box fast and easy. The sand runs off fast, leaving the poop to toss on the ground.
View attachment 1243836
The 6 inch metal putty knife (technically a mud knife for applying drywall mud to drywall) is perfect because it's just a little wider than the five quarter deck board that's the roosting bar. Just a quick walk along the roosting board to knock the poop to the ground.

Thanks so much for all the valuable info. Your set up is something that may work for my pasture. The only thing is the pasture isn't very flat. Something to go over with my DH. My first tractor (years ago) was a much smaller scale using the axle of my son's old radio flyer wagon. I moved it daily, watered down the grass/pasture area. Our grass was beautiful!

I don't know how much grade change you have in your pasture, but the tractor is pretty forgiving of grade changes in both directions, side to side, and front to back, since everything kind of self levels because it's hanging on chains. I even set the rolling nest box to a steeper slope to account for a downhill slope onmy south facing hill.

The other thing is the anti-dig mats are 50 inches wide, extending out far enough to really cover up any of the inevitable gaps, that show up along the perimeter of an almost 20 foot long structure. Their flexibility is great.

Apparently it's a pretty common agricultural product, I'm not sure what farmers usually use it for. I found mine at a local feed an seed, although I also found it on Amazon. I'm guessing Tractor Supply would have it too, but I can't remember if I saw any there.

I've found though, that buying the larger commercial size bag of an odd item, can be about as cheap as a small convenience bag marketed to homeowners.

Whether it's oyster shells, sulphur, or even cracked corn for scratch.

It's funny, as I was working in the tractor, finishing up things after the chickens moved in, I kept getting the feeling of something tiny crawling on me, which a shower cured.

Probably psychosomatic, but after adding sulphur to the dust box, I never got that feeling again when working in the tractor.

I've been developing and selling rural land for about 30 years, and have spent an incredible amount of time walking land. You develop a heightened sense of feel over the years (I've had hundreds of tick bites), and I can feel even a seed tick crawling on me now, so I'm inclined to believe I was feeling those mites or lice from the chickens, maybe not though.

Most people feel just like you. When I was in the field more, when I was younger, I got so many tick bites, lots everyday sometimes, that it doesn't even phase me anymore, same with snakes.

Here in Virginia, unless you're turning over stuff, like logs or stored things in a field, 90 percent of the snakes I saw were only in the month of May, probably mating I guess. One property on the James River was so bad, I was walking through the woods showing it, and looked over at some bushes and there were several snakes chasing each other up off the ground, through branches of the bushes! One of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Only ever saw that behavior in snakes that one time. Scared my customer so bad, I just took them back to their care, there was no way I was going to be able to sell them that piece of land.

I even had a snake come crawling down the middle of the hall leading to the kitchen of a new house we had just built, while I was cooking breakfast on Sunday morning. I killed it with my wife's favorite frying pan (broke it too), that happened to be in my hand. There was no way I was going to let that snake get away and live in the house with my little kids.

So I almost laugh when people ask me if there are any snakes on a property I'm showing, because I don't care where you live, there probably are!

Last edited:
Snakes here are largely non venomous and I'm ok with them as long as they don't startle me. They are all over my land. Sometimes between the house and barn I spook 3. Of course I've never seen them in a tree! Nor crawling down my hallway. I'd have gone frying pan on that thing too.

Ticks are a different brand of nasty to me. I just can't get past it.

Considering moving south in the next few years, wouldn't let snakes stop me. Winters here are getting old.

Well New York is a high tax state, a lot of New Yorkers like Virginia. Lower taxes, warmer, but still has four seasons, and not a long drive to see relatives back home.

We call them bounce backs. Lots move to Florida and find it too hot and humid in the summer, and too far from relatives. Many bounce back to Virginia as a happy medium. I also like our rivers, which we have lots of, are great for swimming and boating. Once you go south of North Carolina, all their fresh water lakes and rivers usually have alligators in them, and really aren't suitable for swimming or other water activities. Just like that poor toddler killed in one of the lakes within sight of Cinderella's Castle at Disney World. I had my children at the same resort, on the same beach, and wondered why they had a sign saying no swimming. I was so naive I thought their might be a bacteria or something in the water. Then one night we took a tour in a horse drawn wagon and I asked the guide what that weird chirping sound was, and he told me that was the baby alligators calling their mothers. That was at least 15 years ago, so Disney was well aware of that danger and was running a very active trapping campaign all those years trying to keep the gators under control.

So by all means, come to Virginia! No Gators!

I've often thought that having access to the water without railings was negligent. On one hand there's signs, yet most would expect a sterile man-made environment like Disney to be basically safe. Horrible thing in any case.

No Florida for me. Sure love coastal SC/GA area. Virginia could be better from a hurricane point of view though. Great horse country and beautiful land.

Back
Top Bottom