Pic of mystery wild duckling I just hatched out

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Uuummmm... That looks like a mallard my friend
big_smile.png

Did you hatch it from your ducks? Or find the egg somewhere? It looks just like a mallard, with a longer bill.

destinduck

obsessed with "ducks"
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
n.w.FLORIDA
Definitely not a mallard duckgirl. None in the pen
lol.png
I looked at him even more Kevin and I think you and Darlene are right. That bill is long like a teal but the egg itself was a mallard size. If its a shoveler Ill know by the snout in a coupla weeks for sure.LOL! Its funny that a shoveler isnt born with that big spoonbill though. Ill keep yall posted.

Last edited:

country_girl011

Songster
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
ohio
Definitely not a mallard duckgirl. None in the pen
lol.png
I looked at him even more Kevin and I think you and Darlene are right. That bill is long like a teal but the egg itself was a mallard size. If its a shoveler Ill know by the snout in a coupla weeks for sure.LOL! Its funny that a shoveler isnt born with that big spoonbill though. Ill keep yall posted.
can you imagine if it was.
that tiny thing with an aquward bill .
i think theyd be a little top heavy for the first few days
lau.gif

destinduck

obsessed with "ducks"
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
n.w.FLORIDA
Yeah you would think they would have that basic shape though. I hear more peeping in the same bator.Looks like hes gonna have some brothers or sisters coming by morning. I say mystery ducks because sometimes i will get eggs that are just laying around in the big pen and rather than throw them away I try to hatch the wild ones from day one in a incubator. Yes it can be done.But way better to use a broody that first 2 weeks. Not super great hatch rates by any means but yes I am very proud to say I have unlocked a little of that mystery. Still long long way to go on this road of course. Hopefully someone will figure out the rest of this puzzle because I sure dont know what the rest of it could be at this point. But hey, halfs(thats about what I get now)is better than none.

Last edited:

Top Bottom