Picked out of mid-air

MikeTheGardener

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
New Jersey
I was going into the pen/coop area to retrieve the eggs, when I noticed a cicada hanging out on the inside of the fence. As I moved closer to the coop near the fence area that the cicada was hanging onto, it must have gotten spooked and decided to fly away. Unfortunately for the cicada the moment it moved, one of my buff orpingtons snatched it out of mid air and ran under the coop with it. I did not see it come out. It was an impressive catch by the buff.

Impressive, they really love the bugs, but didn't know they would go after one that large.

I found a wasp nest in my coop, showed up between weekly cleanings…and no wasps. My girls had already had wasp snacks, if they hadn't I would surely have been stung.

Impressive, they really love the bugs, but didn't know they would go after one that large.

I found a wasp nest in my coop, showed up between weekly cleanings…and no wasps. My girls had already had wasp snacks, if they hadn't I would surely have been stung.

I was definitely surprised when I saw it happen. I did not think they would go after it.

Love watching our flock catch bugs in the air! They are particularly entertaining when chasing butterflies across a stretch of ground.

Mine don't free range and they are in 1/2 " hardware cloth so only small bugs get in. But this summer we collected japanese beetles in a large coffee can, dump them in the run and it was chicken frenzy. They cleaned them up before the bugs knew what was coming. I have to be very careful using similar cans in the yard, 'cause if they see me, the girls get quite vocal if it's not bugs coming to dinner!

Back
Top Bottom