Picked raw / how to properly apply bandages / Help?

Quail_

Songster
Apr 8, 2023
Currently I am on vacation and my neighbor is watching my chickens. Today she called me and told me that my year old buff orpington was on her side and refusing to walk.

We were able to get her up and walking again by removing her mating saddle but her back is bloody. She's being bullied and although the fix is simple, it's also not. I'm states away from home, and my neighbor is afraid of my bantom rooster.

Hes being aggressive twords her and again,, easy fix but she only gets help by tomorrow.

I plan on having her wrapped up and put into temporary isolation until she's healed.

At the end of this you may ask me why am I even asking for help when I know what I'm doing?

I don't know how tight vet wrap should be. My neighbor feels extremely bad and although none of this is her fault, or anyone's, she's still wanting to help my chicken and I don't want to give her bad information on dressing the wound.

The photos are in order of events. Unfortunately she wasn't able to remove the mating saddle but the fact that Nugget (my chicken) was able to stand back up immediately after having it almost removed speaks volumes.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(1).jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 16
  • imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4508.jpg
    IMG_4508.jpg
    678.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4510.jpg
    IMG_4510.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Can the hen be separated? I'd remove her,clean the wounds with saline or warm water, apply wound cream or spray, I wouldn't bother with the wrap unless it's really bad
I forgot to add photos but it isn't bad at all. My neighbor was asked to remove her but the rooster is being the problem with being a nuance. Thank you

HI! So she was separated and I actually got home last night, I checked over her wounds the best I could and I didn't see anything too bad. Shes been sprayed and is back in the coop (still separated but is let out with close supervison). She's doing a lot better.
Can the hen be separated? I'd remove her,clean the wounds with saline or warm water, apply wound cream or spray, I wouldn't bother with the wrap unless it's really bad

Back
Top Bottom