Picket White Fence Good Enough?

AnimalGeek23

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 10, 2018
New York State
Hey guys!
As some may know, I'm getting 2-3 Buff Orpington chicks in the summer. I know they aren't very flighty, and they'll be watched when roaming around the yard, but I still want a fence just in case.
Is this good enough for mainly design? IMAGE FOUND ON GOOGLE:

And I also have little trees as a fence. Just wanted your opinion. Concerns? Comments?

Chickens don't really need a fence when free ranging if they have a run already. They instinctively come home to their coop and won't range far. That fence would not keep out predators, especially hawks. I did find these runs though that looked super cute (from google as well):

coop.jpg

17c348dafa55c4d32170b4802037d59c.jpg

Hey guys!
As some may know, I'm getting 2-3 Buff Orpington chicks in the summer. I know they aren't very flighty, and they'll be watched when roaming around the yard, but I still want a fence just in case.

And I also have little trees as a fence. Just wanted your opinion. Concerns? Comments?

Hello! This kind of fence may work however take into consideration that they may attempt to crawl under it or squeeze through the sides. I personally would nail/builder staple chicken wire over it too just add the extra security. I mean it does still come down to how tame the chickens are, but if something spooked them I just wouldn't be willing to take the risk...

Also another thing to take into consideration is 'will the chickens be able to get on the road?Will they be able to get out of your yard?If you have neighbours will they be able to get into their yards?

Hey guys!

That fence should be good to keep neighborhood dogs out, mostly. Some will be able to jump it if they think about it. It WON'T do anything for hawks though (mentioned by other poster). And it will give your ladies some semblance of a boundary.

When they are young they may be able to make it to the top. But most birds are fine enjoying their yards (except Easter Eggers). Basing my statements on thinking you meant full size and not cutesy decoration. :)

I have not had orpingtons (just ordered some) but if my leghorns wanted over that fence, it would not even slow them down. Having said that, my flock doesn't think up. Their focus is always on the ground. It may work just fine.

A fence like that is mostly decorative, so if that's all you want, then it's fine. If you're hoping to stop predators from getting in or chickens from getting out, it's a speed bump at most.

Thanks for the replies!
I just wanted to give them a little sense of boundary for my yard. It's not meant to keep predators out, I have another fence for that. :thumbsup
Just wondering if they would be willing to fly out with the fence, a sort-of busy road beyond that, and dogs. It's a law around here to leash your dog, so I think the dogs won't get in. :)

You know I think those picket fences typically around farm houses were to keep the chickens out of the yard and off the porch......different story than keeping chickens in.

Back
Top Bottom