Picking at her feathers

LngHrnSara

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
This is a rescue chicken that we got yesterday. She is very docile and eating and drinking well. Today I noticed there is something going on with the feathers and the base of her neck on her back. When I examines further they are like sticky looking. I don't see any mites. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions what this might be? Is it normal?

We have been wanting to get chickens which is why we volunteered her a new home but I may have gotten over my head here!?

Hi :welcome I agree with light chick that it could be molting. I m not sure what you have where you are as regards to mites. Here in UK main problem is red mite and they tend to come out at night crawling on to birds having a feed then going back to there nests in the coop so you may not see them on your chickens. I would check your coop for mites and then give it a very good clean and treat with suitable mite killer. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks for your help! I tried to upload them last night on the mobile site but no luck. Here are 2 pictures I took yesterday. I did look for mites and didn't see anything. Also, we are in the Houston area, in Texas if that helps with climate. Thanks again for any insight!

Does one have experience with feathers looking like this? I'd like to think it is molting, but I'm still not 100% sure and I just want to make sure she is ok. Thank you!

For some reason the pics aren't showing up for me......
sad.png

I have two Rhode Island Red chicks that are a little over 4 months old. They are really picking at their feathers tonight? There is nothing on their skin or feathers that i I could see. Anyone know what might be causing them to do this? Also I noticed once has a broken tip on her beak....what causes that?

Back
Top Bottom