Picking from boredom! HELP!

RainyDayChickens

Chirping
Apr 19, 2022
My flock has been suffering for some time from pecking at eachothers back ends, not by the downy bum fluff, but between the saddle and tail, it's gotten quite bad, and they've even started plucking away at my poor polish's tail, to the point she was bleeding quite heavily! Twice! I've tried bringing treats often and getting them outside as much as possible, but with such deep snow they don't go out into the Run, I have 15 hens, in a good size coop, with plenty of roosts.
I've tried those fabric saddles on a couple of my hens, but they were able to wiggle out, and it doesn't really cover the attacked spot. We plan to remove about 5 hens this spring/summer to try and help.
We even tried a pinless peeper, but I hate the process of putting them on, and I feel bad for the one hen who has it, any tips to get it off are so appreciated aswell.
at this point I feel like an awful chicken momma.
Any tips are SO SO appreciated!

Often feather picking occurs when there is a protein shortage in their diet. Try to increase protein and see what happens.
I just know others will ask what are you feeding your chickens.. Your response may be,,,,, such and such with this percentage of protein.
There is a factor that needs to be taken into consideration. If you feed them scratch and other treats, that may dilute the percentage of protein in total diet.
An easy and economical boost in protein can be Cat Food. View my Avatar. My hens raid the cat food dishes when they get a chance. They obviously do not overindulge on it.. The cats eat first, and some leftovers do get consumed by hens.
And there are those that may advise against feeding cat food to chickens. Everyone may have a different opinion. :old:idunno
My chickens have been raiding the cat food, always,, and ALL live long lives. I keep chickens as pets,, and they live into the Golden Years naturally. Oldest was 13 years. And my current senior hen is celebrating 10 years today:thumbsup
Hatched on April 20, 2012. 4-20, so I named her MaryJane.
Give extra protein to your chickens, regardless of what you source, and see if that helps.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

How many chickens do you have? What breeds? What do you feed your chickens? Polish chickens are pretty and interesting, but the 2 I had in a mixed flock usually got their head feathers pecked out once a year or more. When it started I used BluKote on the head, and it usually stopped before getting to the scalped stage. Some people say BluKote may attract more pecking, but it worked for me.

I would consider covering your run to add more room and make it easier to be outside. Some use bales of straw around the sides to be a wind break. Ideally, it helps to get them outside, and I will shovel snow to clear areas for them. Some breeds are more aggressive than other meek birds. I have rehomed a few pretty silver and gold laced wyandottes because they were bullies. If your coop is large enough you can place some things for them to climb on and explore. Pecking becomes a habit, and it can lead to cannibalism.

How many chickens do you have? What breeds? What do you feed your chickens? Polish chickens are pretty and interesting, but the 2 I had in a mixed flock usually got their head feathers pecked out once a year or more. When it started I used BluKote on the head, and it usually stopped before getting to the scalped stage. Some people say BluKote may attract more pecking, but it worked for me.

I would consider covering your run to add more room and make it easier to be outside. Some use bales of straw around the sides to be a wind break. Ideally, it helps to get them outside, and I will shovel snow to clear areas for them. Some breeds are more aggressive than other meek birds. I have rehomed a few pretty silver and gold laced wyandottes because they were bullies. If your coop is large enough you can place some things for them to climb on and explore. Pecking becomes a habit, and it can lead to cannibalism.
Often feather picking occurs when there is a protein shortage in their diet. Try to increase protein and see what happens.
I just know others will ask what are you feeding your chickens.. Your response may be,,,,, such and such with this percentage of protein.
There is a factor that needs to be taken into consideration. If you feed them scratch and other treats, that may dilute the percentage of protein in total diet.
An easy and economical boost in protein can be Cat Food. View my Avatar. My hens raid the cat food dishes when they get a chance. They obviously do not overindulge on it.. The cats eat first, and some leftovers do get consumed by hens.
And there are those that may advise against feeding cat food to chickens. Everyone may have a different opinion. :old:idunno
My chickens have been raiding the cat food, always,, and ALL live long lives. I keep chickens as pets,, and they live into the Golden Years naturally. Oldest was 13 years. And my current senior hen is celebrating 10 years today:thumbsup
Hatched on April 20, 2012. 4-20, so I named her MaryJane.
Give extra protein to your chickens, regardless of what you source, and see if that helps.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome
Yes I've heard of the protein maybe being my problem! And now that I think back the pecking started when my pullets where brought to the big coop around summer, so they were growing all sorts of new feathers, ill try some cat food and tuna to boost the protein and well see if that helps!

Okay! It is finally warm and the snows melted away, and theirs still some plucking, mainly from my 2 Rhode island reds, even the red with a peeper pecks at my slightly younger girls, im going to try putting higher amounts of protein and see if that helps, as the pecking did start when my pullets were introduced!

What size coop and run do you have?

Chickens fight when they don't get enough stimulation,sunlight or exercise outside.
Can you cover their run with a tarp so they don't have to stand in the snow or get wet?

Back
Top Bottom