1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Picking New Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by I Love Layers, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok well even though these arnt the best production I highly reccomend the silkies breeder ones not the hatchery ones if u become a breeder of these a lot of people like these the breeder ones I am getting a few for a breeding pen but if that incubator gets full u can always count on a broody Silkie

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I have some hatchery silkies right now. I'm hoping to get some breeder ones also this year. I decided at first though I'd just get hatchery to see how they dealt with the weather in North Dakota. And so far they are doing pretty good so I'm slightly looking for some Silkies also

3. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok well the. Do u have any other questions as I have just found a breeder about 2-3 hours from me so I have messenger them about the breeder silkies so I might give them a call tomarrow and then I will be needing to get the breeding pen build get the coop cleaned as I clean coop every day play ball with my dog feed and water all the animals so busy day tomarrow

As I have been looking for breeder but show quality silkies now for over a month and we get some pretty cold nights here to I live in central this year we got over 2 feet of snow

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    O and silkies are a good bit of cold hardy and if u get bearded ones u may have to put a pony tail in there crest so they can see

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    I don't think so. Thanks for the help--

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    O and there my profile pic isn't my silkies if u were wondering they sure are pretty birds though but I hope u have good luck with ur layers and trying to find breeder silkies

7. phillip26

phillip26 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2016
    If you are wanting red stars they are a hybrid and can only get a true red star/red sexlink/ golden comet from a rhode island red rooster and rhode island white hen.

8. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    What if you crossed a red star and Red Star.. since I already have red stars that I got from Murray mcmurray

9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    You can't cross sex links.Red stars are just another name for the red sex link.

10. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ok things are starting to get confusing I don't even know what u people are talking about @TheTwoRoos

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by