Picking on Princess Layer

Try adding a second feeding and watering station, at least until they all settle down. And a few boredom-busters would likely help, too. Bored hens tend to pick at each other more, and sometimes at themselves. Try adding some roosts at different heights, or a few up-ended logs or circles. You could also hang a cabbage or some other green treat from a rope. My bantams can spend hours playing with those! A mirror, cd disk or aluminum pie pan would work, too - anything shiny that swings when they peck at it.
Good Luck!

Thank you so much! Put an old mirror in the run this morning. Already seen change. They love looking at themselves. Have just noticed Princess standing next to her main aggressor and she wasn’t freezing up. Looking good. Photo attached

Attachments

• 6740EF87-3A8E-4F88-A68A-64DC1D5F4DD9.jpeg
    6740EF87-3A8E-4F88-A68A-64DC1D5F4DD9.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 8
Thank you so much! Put an old mirror in the run this morning. Already seen change. They love looking at themselves. Have just noticed Princess standing next to her main aggressor and she wasn’t freezing up. Looking good. Photo attached
I'm SO glad it helped! You can get really creative with simple boredom busters for your girls. It's actually fun to think up new ways to amuse them. Even simply moving them around from time to time can help. I want to put a chicken swing in my main coop & run. I just put an old wooden ladder in there and they use it to play King-of-the-Mountain. There's room for everyone on it ... and I got really lucky ... the steps just happen to be perfectly spaced to keep my bantams from "christening" each other while they roost!

Back
Top Bottom