Picking out chicks at the feed store

If the chicks at your feed store are separated into pullet and cockerel bins (my fav store labels them "hens" and "roosters"), then I would go for the most active chicks from the pullet bins. I also always chose those older than the others, more feathered out with wing tips. If some were left over from the previous week's delivery, I would choose those. They have already survived a week, which means past the critical first few days.

i dunno about the pointing the finger trick... i have some chicks right now, and all of them run up and are alert... my friend's chicks (hatched the same day, with some of his eggs and my eggs...) they don't do that... maybe because i'm always interacting with them... most of my chicks also fight my finger... lol... it's hilarious... but i don't think those are roosters... my LF cochin chicks would do the same thing and they turned out to be hens...

I hear a lot of tricks for determining roos from pullets, I think there are probably as many as there are farmers
lol.png
The reason he told me that, was that I had told him how I took a couple of chicks that were the most "friendly" in the box and they ended up being roos. He said, "yeah, next time, take the ones that run away." I haven't had a chance to test the theory. It's probably about 50% accurate
wink.png

N&MSchroeder :

Hello! I went to my local feed store yesterday to pick up supplies for my brooder and they had just received their first shipment of chicks (golden sexlinks). I did not bring any home with me, but this experience did raise a few questions. Now before you think I have some kind of immunity against chicken fever, let me set you straight. I have an order placed for 3 different varieties on March 1st. This feed store is an hour away from home and I had another commitment that prevented me from going straight home with my chickens. It about killed me to walk away and I would never have gone in if I had known they had chicks. I thought they were arriving next week. While I was there, I did observe a few things. There were 4 or 5 chicks standing at the front of the brooder who seemed to want to interact with me. They pecked at my finger, made eye contact and cheeped. Does this mean anything? Are these the chickens that will eat out of my hand, sit in my lap, follow me around the yard, etc.? There were others in the area who were moving around but didn't appear to be interested in me at all. Also, with the sex-links, there was some variation in their markings. Some were more red in color and some had faint stripes down their backs/sides. Will these variations continue into their adulthood? Thanks for your help!

First off, let me say Welcome! Ok, like others have stated before, yes those markings fade. Now, as far as Gold Sexlinks go, they are a breed genetically modified to display a different coloration for each sex. That means that the girls will be completely different in color then the boys. The girls are light red (or a variation thereof) and the boys are white. As far as the ones that were interested in you, those would be the ones I'd pick first. Mainly because tthis tells me that the are mostly likely a healthy baby. But those ones also might become rather independent! The more the babies get handled, the friendlier they become. Although there are exceptions to this rule! I, myself, like an inquisitve and up front kinda chick, but if the chicks all act the same, like the others did in the back ground, then pick the most healthy looking. Sometimes once you pick up an "apathelic" chick, they can have an attittude change and start to look at you and want to interact.​

there's the mexican way of sexing a chick... i don't do it, but my neighbors and family grab the beak with their fingers... if the chick just hangs, it's a pullet... if the chick kicks his way out of your grip it's a roo... my neighbor did it to my friend's chicks, and he was 100% correct... i didn't let him do it to my chicks... i have patience... but still... pretty cool...

Quote:
LOL!!! I know this method! One of my "Old Timer Chicken Guru" friends taught it to me. I used to do it too but instead of the beak, I would hold the chick in a cupped palm, gently grab their head with my other hand and lift up to "hang" them for just a moment. BUT, my results were the complete opposite! All the "hangers" were the cockrels and all the" kickers" were the pullets! It never seemed to hurt or bother the chicks. I can't remember the percentage of accuracy (too many years have passed since my chick rearing days!), but Im with you though, patience and time are the only true way to tell whose who!

My GM would hold the head between her first and second finger w/ the legs pointing down if the legs hang straight it's a male if the legs curl to the body it's a pullet. I have tried this and can say 50% of the time this is true, but it only works on 1 or 2 day olds.

last time I was at the feed store, they had a brooder full of mixed, straight run bantams. The owner told me he was spending the day sexing chicks, using a magnet. I was thinking he must be off his rocker. anyone else heard of that?

I have seen a "miraculous" magnetic chick sexer on eBay. But I have also seen potato chip Jesus faces, collections of mis-matched dice, sonic flea repellers, and used ladies' undies for bid or sale on eBay, just to name a few of the oddball "buyer beware" items available for the gullible (or perverse).

None of which I would even consider.

Well a pencil w/ a threaded need stuck in the eraser is cheeper swings in a circle female swings side to side male old timer trick.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom