Picking up 6 chicks Tuesday need help!

Mychix2018

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
hi! Need some advice on best options for a brooder for my 6 chicks. They will be like 2 days old when I get them. I’ve seen so much different methods . A cardboard box and Rubbermaid big bin, a heating lamp, an eco glow heater.
What’s best? I’m scared of horror stories of fires but a lamp is so much cheaper. Can I use a Rubbermaid bin with a lamp? Will it melt or will cardboard burn up? We are out the house for the day so not too comfortable with leaving a hot lamp on all day when I’m not home.

Any other tips for my brooder? Also I see people start with a small container than my be to a bigger one but I would rather stay in area and not have to relocate them? Will a rubber maid do the job for 6 chickens once they are like 4 weeks?

Thanks all!

I doubt that a Rubbermaid would be enough for four weeks. The cute little things grow so fast, we can't keep up!
I use a metal container originally meant for plants, and it works for about three weeks. This year, since it's still a little cold outside, I moved them to a temporary cardboard brooder until they're ready. I would recommend a metal one of you're afraid if fires. Also, I think that investing in a heat pad thing would be good. I've always used a heat lamp, but I've heard so many good things about heat pads.
You could also make an area brooder, which is just having one place that has walls that can expand as the chicks grow older. This could be made out of cardboard
I've got to go now, I'll see if I can post more tomorrow. Good luck, and have fun!!!

I have used both a cardboard box and rubbermaid container with a heat lamp for brooding my chicks in the past. While both held up just fine and I never had an issue with anything getting too hot, I prefer to use a rubbermaid.

I used a 4' long, 2' wide rubbermaid container last year for 5 standard chicks. We were able to comfortably keep them in there for about 6 weeks.

I also was out of the house most of the time while brooding my chicks, and nothing bad happened.

I would say that if you use a heat lamp I would use a rubbermaid container. And a large enough container like the size of mine or larger will hold your chicks just fine until 4wks old. An eco glo is generally safer, but if you don't want to spend that much money don't fret over it. I never used a heating pad and my chicks did just fine.

I doubt that a Rubbermaid would be enough for four weeks. The cute little things grow so fast, we can't keep up!
I use a metal container originally meant for plants, and it works for about three weeks. This year, since it's still a little cold outside, I moved them to a temporary cardboard brooder until they're ready. I would recommend a metal one of you're afraid if fires. Also, I think that investing in a heat pad thing would be good. I've always used a heat lamp, but I've heard so many good things about heat pads.
You could also make an area brooder, which is just having one place that has walls that can expand as the chicks grow older. This could be made out of cardboard
I've got to go now, I'll see if I can post more tomorrow. Good luck, and have fun!!!

Omg thank u!!!

I have used both a cardboard box and rubbermaid container with a heat lamp for brooding my chicks in the past. While both held up just fine and I never had an issue with anything getting too hot, I prefer to use a rubbermaid.

I used a 4' long, 2' wide rubbermaid container last year for 5 standard chicks. We were able to comfortably keep them in there for about 6 weeks.

I also was out of the house most of the time while brooding my chicks, and nothing bad happened.

I would say that if you use a heat lamp I would use a rubbermaid container. And a large enough container like the size of mine or larger will hold your chicks just fine until 4wks old. An eco glo is generally safer, but if you don't want to spend that much money don't fret over it. I never used a heating pad and my chicks did just fine.

Ok great!!! That definitely makes me feel better. I’m still considering for sure the bin just not too sure on the heating aspect. Nice to hear the lamp worked safely and effectively. Thanks for the advice!

No problem, thanks for asking for help! Oh! And :welcome we are glad to have you!

2018 3-SS pullets in brooder.jpg
Easy clean up daily, never had anything melt, etc. from the heat lamp (secure it so it won't fall off), fairly inexpensive & have raised chicks in one for 4 to 6 wks tops. Have even made an extension by duck tape attaching another cut off clear tote to the original tote with a passageway cut into long end side. Had to do this because of bad weather & no room for this age in that smaller coop. Best wishes.

20180307_183936.jpg
This is the first year I am using the ecoglow and I have to say I would never go back to the lamp. It is such a comfort knowing that while I am out of the house or a sleep that I don' have to worry about the lamp exploding, falling, or starting a fire. An added bonus too is the chicks are on a more regular schedule with the eco too. They go to sleep when itr gets dark and wake up when It's light. Lastly with the eco they can self regulate more and it seems to avoid overheating them.

I also always use cardboard because it's easier to increase the brooder size by using cardboard. Good luck with your babies and congrats!!

View attachment 1289139 Easy clean up daily, never had anything melt, etc. from the heat lamp (secure it so it won't fall off), fairly inexpensive & have raised chicks in one for 4 to 6 wks tops. Have even made an extension by duck tape attaching another cut off clear tote to the original tote with a passageway cut into long end side. Had to do this because of bad weather & no room for this age in that smaller coop. Best wishes.
Woaw!!!! That’s awesome thanks! Where did u hang the lamp? What is it hanging on?

View attachment 1289144 This is the first year I am using the ecoglow and I have to say I would never go back to the lamp. It is such a comfort knowing that while I am out of the house or a sleep that I don' have to worry about the lamp exploding, falling, or starting a fire. An added bonus too is the chicks are on a more regular schedule with the eco too. They go to sleep when itr gets dark and wake up when It's light. Lastly with the eco they can self regulate more and it seems to avoid overheating them.

I also always use cardboard because it's easier to increase the brooder size by using cardboard. Good luck with your babies and congrats!!
Thanks! I just feel like he hind might be easier to clean but I realize they might be too small and cardboard might be the best bet... still researching and figuring out what works best for me but this looks like a great set up. I think I’m also really hearing towards the eco glo... I don’t think I will be relaxed with a lamp... thanks again! This is awesomw

Back
Top Bottom