Picking up chicks at the post office

Jimin

Songster
Feb 8, 2019
Hi! I ordered 10 polish/crested chicks in the mail and just got a notification at 1am saying that they’re at the distribution center and “in transit to the destination” and by destination, I’m guessing it’s my local post office. But I’m on the fence about waiting for them at my post office or just going to the distribution center (which is 20min from where I live) because I’ve read so many reviews saying it could take 1-5 days from that distribution facility to reach their destination due to covid. So far, the chicks have been in the mail for less than 48 hours. Any suggestions?

I also saw someone post this years ago about blasting their car to the highest temperature possible on their way to the post office so that his chicks would be warm. Sweated buckets the whole ride, but it worked wonders. I did this with my last batch but it’s been years since then and I’m not sure what else I should do just in case. I know some people said to bring warm water or warm sugar water but not sure how that would work. Like do I need to take them out one by one and dip their beaks in? Thanks I’m advance!

Will the distribution center let you pick up from there? I know where I live you can’t do that. It has to go to the post office before I can get my packages.

Warming up the car is a good idea. I think the warm water would be better once you got them home. I’ve never ordered chicks through the mail but pretty sure you don’t have to dunk their beaks individually. When I hatch chicks I watch for ones that might not get it right away. Those are the ones I help. Usually the others find the water and food by themselves.

Will the distribution center let you pick up from there? I know where I live you can’t do that. It has to go to the post office before I can get my packages.

Warming up the car is a good idea. I think the warm water would be better once you got them home. I’ve never ordered chicks through the mail but pretty sure you don’t have to dunk their beaks individually. When I hatch chicks I watch for ones that might not get it right away. Those are the ones I help. Usually the others find the water and food by themselves.
According to USPS, I am allowed to go to the distribution center but all of the reviews online said it’s not worth it since it’s nothing but a warehouse with trucks coming in and out. I’m just worried about getting them on time. It’s my first time raising polish chicks and I heard that they’re quite fragile compared to other breeds (not sure how true this is though).

I would always go and pick my chicks up. Yes it involved a 45 minute drive , one way, but worth it just to save them another day and a half in that box. Endurung cold and vibration and who knows what else in the back of a box truck.
The distribution center would call me!
I never turned the heat up like that. They are in a small box and body heet to keep warm. Just in the seat next to me with no drafts works fine.

One of the distribution centers near here habitually delays packages for weeks, while the other is quick. If I could, I would go get them. They will be fine in the box they were shipped in; there is no need to warm the car unless you take them out. Think about it -- if you didn't pick them up, they'd just be in that same box overnight.

I would always go and pick my chicks up. Yes it involved a 45 minute drive , one way, but worth it just to save them another day and a half in that box. Endurung cold and vibration and who knows what else in the back of a box truck.
The distribution center would call me!
I never turned the heat up like that. They are in a small box and body heet to keep warm. Just in the seat next to me with no drafts works fine.
I also do the 1 1/2 hour one way drive to pick up new chicks. Not sure when the Postal workers got so nasty. I’m in small town in WV my Carrier is a gem, the Office workers have been kind for the most part too.

Any updates on these? I'm curious. I have had chicks plenty of times before, but just got my Bresse babies this morning.

Back
Top Bottom