Picking

mattsse

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
I have one hen being picked by the other hens and rooster. It started at the end of the molt, they pick all the feathers out from behind her comb and all around her vent, her vent is also a little bloody. For about two weeks I let them out into the yard and she started to grow back in, but with the fox around I was forced to put them back in the run. They are not overcrowded by any means. I bought some no pick and spread it all over her bare skin and behind her comb, it's blood red and supposed to taste fowl to chickens however after a day it rubs off and they're back after her. I remember some purple spray my parents used to camouflage the injury but I can't find that, only no pick at the stores here.

Any ideas what I can do get the picking to stop? Separating her is not really an option, I don't have anything setup for it, I also don't have separate waterers and feeders, I'd put her in the freezer for roasting before I put her through all that. Any ideas on how I can get them to leave her alone?

Thanks for the help,

Matt

I have the book "Storey's guide to raising Chickens" and they talk about an increased protein requirement during molt. I've read here that by increasing their protein they will stop picking. The book says to increase their protein give them a few handfuls of cat food each day. Might give that a try.

To help keep them from picking while they're in the run, you can hang a half head of cabbage just above their head level and let them pick at that. Haul in a couple of wheelbarrows full of leaves and dump them in the run...that will keep them occupied as well.

Thank you everyone, I will give that a try, I put a pumpkin and some other vegetables in there to keep them busy but I think the leaves and that will last a little longer.

Back
Top Bottom