Pickled Egg Recipe

My recipe is simple. While you are boiling your eggs, put white vinegar in a small pot on stove to heat. I add red pepper and black pepper to vinegar as it's heating( cayenne if you want hot eggs). Turn heat off when eggs are done and let it cool as you're peeling eggs. Put eggs in big jar, fill with vinegar 3/4 of way, finish filling with water. Put in fridge for 2 weeks.

Mine is super simple. Once you use up your jar of dill pickles make a batch of hardboiled eggs, peel, and let sit in the pickle juice. The longer it sits, the better. ;)

The Pennsylvania Dutch way...no frills...just traditional red beeters.

I make them by the mason jar (24oz) but I have made larger batches just doubling or tripling the recipe. Easy peasy.

24 oz jar recipe.

6 hard boiled eggies
15 oz sliced beets
1 small onion sliced, then slices cut in half.
2/3 cup of white vinegar (have split the vinegar equally between white and cider vinegar...depends on my mood)
2 TBsp sugar (heaping)
1/2 tsp salt

Eggs into pot. Cover with water. Add 1 heaping TBsp salt and a tsp of white vinegar (aids in peeling) Bring to boil. Cover. Remove from heat. Let eggs sit in hot water for 12 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water. Cool eggs in bowl of ice water. Peel when eggies are cool.

Place eggs, beets and onions into jar in layers.

In saucepan. Dump the beet juice, vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to fluff. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Pour liquid into jar over eggies. Lid the jars and into the fridge for 3 days.

Eat.

Back
Top Bottom