Pickled eggs and canning question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by KDbeads, Jan 7, 2010.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I finally found a recipe that looks like what my grandmother made with quail eggs. I'll be using it with banty eggs. Problem is that when I was hunting this this down every recipe I found said fridge only NO canning for any pickled eggs.

Thoughts? I know I've seen them canned before but worried now.... Can only store so many jars in the fridge and so far hubby, who has NEVER eaten a pickled egg before, loves the ones I tossed in some pickle juice a few weeks ago.

2. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    I did a google search of canning picled eggs and found this page. It gives a lot of information regarding the safety and explaining the reasons why it can go wrong. She says they store their eggs for 6 months in their garage where it never gets over 60 degrees. Anyway, I think it's worth taking a look at. www.kuntzfamily.com The recipe link is right there in the center of the page. Hope it helps.

3. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Hmm.... we don't really have a cool dark place to store anything... yet.
    So I guess fridge pickled eggs will be what I do until then.

The recipe I tried today was:
    SWEET AND SOUR EGGS (for 12 eggs)
    1½ cups pasteurized apple cider
    ½ cup cider vinegar
    1 package (about 12 oz.) red cinnamon candy
    1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 teaspoon garlic salt

But.... this was supposed to be for just a quart... yeah right. I had double what I needed for brine even with using only half the red hots so I'm freezing the remainder for the next batch of eggs if hubby likes these.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by