Picky eater Rory

Some photos for those interested
File_000.jpeg
File_000 (1).jpeg
File_000 (2).jpeg

My other dog, Teddy, is very dainty and is disgusted by my Yorkie.

He is a very picky eater. And he knows when it's time for him to have medicine. He will hide on his bed for a week if he knows. I swear it's like he knows what time of year.
We switched the brand of food and he loved it for months (which is much longer than the usual week that he likes a new bag of food) but now he's not so interested.
We used to have to put coconut oil in hi food everyday to get him to eat. That or tuna.
We've had to crush up his daily meds and mix it in wet food to get him to eat it.
He knows its it's there. We didn't trick him at all.

With chewable treats we have to push it down his mouth and hold it shut. Somehow he always spits it out the side still.

Rosie (my Yorkie), on the other will eat anything and everything. She often cleans up his mess.

The vet asked us to just drop the meds on the floor while cooking to make him think it was human food. We didn't even bother trying. He would stiff it and go hide in his room. Rosie would eat it before it hit the ground.
She waits just starting and the floor for food to drop 🤣

He is a very picky eater. And he knows when it's time for him to have medicine. He will hide on his bed for a week if he knows. I swear it's like he knows what time of year.
We switched the brand of food and he loved it for months (which is much longer than the usual week that he likes a new bag of food) but now he's not so interested.
We used to have to put coconut oil in hi food everyday to get him to eat. That or tuna.
We've had to crush up his daily meds and mix it in wet food to get him to eat it.

With chewable treats we have to push it down his mouth and hold it shut. Somehow he always spits it out the side still.

Rosie (my Yorkie), on the other will eat anything and everything. She often cleans up his mess.

The vet asked us to just drop the meds on the floor while cooking to make him think it was human food. We didn't even bother trying. He would stiff it and go hide in his room. Rosie would eat it before it hit the ground.
I'm getting fed up honestly. she hasn't eaten in 2 days... I applaud you for that pill situation (and for living with a small dog 😂)

My little Chihuahua terrier cross Sammy has heart issues. He will have to take medicine twice a day for the rest of his life. At first giving the medicine was a real battle. I tried putting it in cheese, in his wet food, in pieces of meat, etc. He would find the pills and spit them out every time. Finally I just started cramming them down his throat. By the time his medicine was down I was mad and he was madder.

Finally, it dawned on me that since he liked peanut butter, I could try that. I figured he would be able to detect the pills in creamy peanut butter so I got extra chunky so hopefully he wouldn't notice the pills. It works. Now he looks forward to his medicine. In fact he comes running when he hears me start to open the pill bottles. I take a small blob of chunky peanut butter, put the pills in it being sure to have them well covered, and offer the peanut butter on my finger. Works every time. Of course I have to give a blob of peanut butter to the other dog who is not on medication. It wouldn't be fair to give a treat to one and not the other.

If your dog likes peanut butter and you want to try this, I would try giving him a small blob of peanut butter several times without the medicine in it so he gets used to taking it. As I said, I didn't just get chunky peanut butter, I got extra chunky peanut butter. If you feed peanut butter be sure not to give the kind that is artificially sweetened. Some of those artificial sweeteners are toxic to dogs.

Back
Top Bottom