Picky eaters

annep

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
My birds I think are so picky..I've tried so many things to get them to eat greens in the winter..here's what they wont eat, tried it, they dont like it...Cabbage, sprouts, any kind of lettuce..They will eat any bread I throw them, but any other ideas?? They love grass, but well, it's not green right now...Thoughts?

Hmmm, my gals love a head of cabbage. I usually cut it into halves, but some people hang a ball of cabbage....

Now, my gals really don't like lettuce. They take a piece of lettuce, spit it out, and shake their heads in disgust.

Why not try some kale. You can buy it by the bunch in the grocery store, and it's very inexpensive. I just throw the kale into the chicken run and they seem to really enjoy that.

Apples are another good treat. I just throw them into the run, whole. Mine also like pears.

I can't think of anything else right now....

I'd give them time. Mine will sometimes not eat something I put in the run at first, but if I leave it, it disappears. One thing was dried mariglds. I put whole dried up marigold plants in the run. They initially avoided them. But the next day, the dried flowers had all been picked off. I've put greens in the run that they initially ignore, but they get cleaned off the stalks with a bit of time. Some greens, like cabbage, cauliflower or broccoli leaves they go after immediately, but several things they reject at first but if nothing else shows up, they eat it. Kale, chard, lettuce. spinach, New Zealand spinach, zinnias, radishes, and those marigolds are pretty much in this latter group, though sometimes they will go after them immediately.

Back
Top Bottom