Picky

MelindaEzell

Chirping
Mar 16, 2023
So….I’m wondering what is going on with my babies? I hear everyone talk about their chickens love to eat anything and everything. So I’m excited! I get all kinds of stuff to plant etc. They will NOT eat sage, arugula, dandelion, peppermint, sunflower seeds, bananas, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, raisins, broccoli, eggs, I’ve tried dry cereal, kitten food, etc. I’m trying to find something they’ll eat. They will eat the fire out of Annual Blue Grass, some Russian Thistle, Chia, Alfalfa. I can’t even figure out how to get Annual Blue Grass so I can plant some for them.

They are almost 2 1/2 months old.
they are juveniles. They will try different things cautiously, a little bit to see if it has any adverse effect immediately or as it works through their system, and come back to it for more if they decide it's OK food. Bear in mind that most of the plants you cited change throughout the year, and usually we (and chickens) eat only part of it at only specific times - some people eat dandelion leaves but not flowers for example - and green stuff is often tender when young and new, but tough when mature and full grown. Also each bird has its own preferences. If you let them forage for themselves around your garden, you'll see this. So I'd advise you to be patient, and not dismiss potential foods after just one exposure.

they are juveniles. They will try different things cautiously, a little bit to see if it has any adverse effect immediately or as it works through their system, and come back to it for more if they decide it's OK food. Bear in mind that most of the plants you cited change throughout the year, and usually we (and chickens) eat only part of it at only specific times - some people eat dandelion leaves but not flowers for example - and green stuff is often tender when young and new, but tough when mature and full grown. Also each bird has its own preferences. If you let them forage for themselves around your garden, you'll see this. So I'd advise you to be patient, and not dismiss potential foods after just one exposure.
Thank you. I haven’t given up. I’m still giving them the same things and more. And they do get out to forage, but they eat the Annual Blue Grass mainly.

I feed my neighbors chickens fresh veggies from time to time. The rhode island red will try almost anything, but the black australorp will not eat anything I offer. She does eat weeds from the garden, but will not eat cut up de skined cucumbers or fresh tomatoes from our yard, or anything else I try. She looks at it, sometimes takes a bite, and walks away.
TAKEAWAY:
Some chickens are realy picky eaters.
Almost all chickens like generic yard weeds.

Untitled261_20230710054059.png

So….I’m wondering what is going on with my babies? I hear everyone talk about their chickens love to eat anything and everything. So I’m excited! I get all kinds of stuff to plant etc. They will NOT eat sage, arugula, dandelion, peppermint, sunflower seeds, bananas, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, raisins, broccoli, eggs, I’ve tried dry cereal, kitten food, etc. I’m trying to find something they’ll eat. They will eat the fire out of Annual Blue Grass, some Russian Thistle, Chia, Alfalfa. I can’t even figure out how to get Annual Blue Grass so I can plant some for them.
Thank heavens someone else is familiar with my stressful issue! I have the WORST eaters for anything other than plain feed😭 and anything I try on them must be put in some type of corralled situation for spillage or I end up feeding RATS and cockroaches at night 🥵😡. Rats aren’t taking ANY kind of bait OR traps, as we’ve been working on the problem for over a few years, and if the pest service hits the chicken run for roaches, I’ll lose my preferable insects!! AARGH

Back
Top Bottom