Goslings act fine, but can’t walk...

It can be gradual to where we don’t see it till there is. I maybe wrong since I am not a vet so if you feel more comfortable taking them to a vet then please do. No discontinue the Brewers yeast. Usually once you start the liquid b complex if it’s niacin deficiency you see improvement pretty fast

Thank you so much @Miss Lydia, your resources have been extremely helpful! I really hope that it is a niacin deficiency above more critical illnesses, but if they worsen, I’ll take them in to the vet.

This is their second day of receiving Vitamin B Complex, and while there is minimal improvement, they are not deteriorating so rapidly as yesterday. In fact, Alfie (who was previously stumbling) seems a bit better today, and the stationary one, Iris, has been shifting her weight a bit more, although she still does not walk.
I’m hopeful for progress but know I can’t expect them to immediately be cured. I’ll continue to watch them and update this thread, and hopefully all will end well!

Thank you so much @Miss Lydia, your resources have been extremely helpful! I really hope that it is a niacin deficiency above more critical illnesses, but if they worsen, I’ll take them in to the vet.

This is their second day of receiving Vitamin B Complex, and while there is minimal improvement, they are not deteriorating so rapidly as yesterday. In fact, Alfie (who was previously stumbling) seems a bit better today, and the stationary one, Iris, has been shifting her weight a bit more, although she still does not walk.
I’m hopeful for progress but know I can’t expect them to immediately be cured. I’ll continue to watch them and update this thread, and hopefully all will end well!
I had a chick with wry neck this year. I gave it vitamins for days without any visible improvements. I pretty much gave up after a week. Than I started to see improvements. So I continue the vitamins for another week before stopping because I couldn't catch him anymore. So I'd say at least 5-7 days, and probably up to two weeks from my similar experiences with a vitamin deficiency.

@oldhenlikesdogs @Miss Lydia
Day three of the treatment, and I’m seeing improvement! While Alfie and Faye are still a bit wobbly, they’ve retained their ability to walk. And Iris, the gosling who didn’t walk for two days, is now standing and stepping on her own. This is certainly improvement, and I hope it continues! I’ll continue the Vitamin B Complex, as well as regular swimming to relieve the discomfort of supporting their own weight.

Thank you @oldhenlikesdogs and @Miss Lydia! Your responses mean a lot,

With the oyster shell, I was under the impression that they needed supplemented calcium, but will stop supplying it if it’s unnecessary. The extra stuff in the water was recommended by a local duck farmer as a kind of pick-me-up for after hatch, but seeing as they are far past hatch, I can discontinue it. Should I still add brewer’s yeast to their starter? It seems highly unlikely that they’ve been injured as I’ve been watching them like a hawk, and all seemed well. This whole ordeal is quite confusing! I’ll certainly start by cutting down on the extras.
I have goslings as well. I had to supplement niacin because one began limping even though he had no other symptoms. Yours seem a little further than mine was when I caught him and I began feeding them purina duck feed which has the correct amount of niacin for them until they could properly graze on their own. @Miss Lydia definitely knows what she is talking about

Back
Top Bottom