PICS**2 day old chicks. Prolasped vent? Pasty butt? HELP!!!

AnimalMommy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 25, 2009
Mississippi
I just got my 26 chicks in from MYC today and two of them are sickly. One of them just hunches in the corner. He has dried goo in his head and his belly is real swollen. Is this a sign that he was a double yolker? He kind of just sits on his haunches and peeps with his eyes closed. What can I give him?
37575_new_chicks_015.jpg

The second one has a raw bloody booty. It looks like his vent is prolapsed and everytime he peeps a drop of blood come out. It really bothers him because he can't reach it and he keeps trying to turn around and peck at it. Is this pasty butt or just a prolasped vent? What can I do? I tried to wipe it with a warm paper towel and he acted like it hurt!
37575_new_chicks_021.jpg

I don't want to give anyone sugar water because I am scared that if the second one has got pasty butt that it will just make it worse.
Everyone sure is drinking and eating alot, so that is a good sign right? I am giving them plain water and starter/grower.

BTW I know that the pics aren't that great

Last edited:
I'm not one for culling but these two little babies sound so sick that there are beyond helping. I certainly would separate them from the rest and decide what you want to do.

Call the hatchery and tell them what is going on. Maybe there are other chicks that were sent out that are having the same problems. I'm sure the hatchery would welcome the information and possibly send you replacements.

Again I don't like to recommend culling but sometimes it is the best.

Sorry:(

We had a chick hatch with a prolapse kind of like that but it went away in a day all by itself. I just left it alone as I was afraid it wouldn't make it but it seemed to work itself out. Give that one a day or so. Some people put Preparation H on it. The pasty butt thing is something I have no idea on. Sorry I am not that much help but maybe someone will be along shortly with good advice.

For pasty but just keep it clean. If the coating gets too hard soak the little guy in warm water to loosen the gunk. Sometimes clipping the feathers in that area helps or you could coat with vaseline. It will keep the poop from sticking. Pasty butt is usually from not enough food or the temp is too hot. Are the food and water dishes away from the heat lamp so the chicks are not uncomfortable while eating?

Thanks yall. I found a kitten one time with a prolapsed booty and I had to stick an ointment up his butt
sickbyc.gif
I'm going to rub some vaseline on the chick's booty before I go to bed and give him a few days. I had to do my first cull this week and I'm a little traumatized so I'm really going to do what I can to avoid that.

BTW this is the kitten one year later.

37575_7-27-2009_006.jpg

The temp is only at 85 right now and the food and water are on the opposite side of the lamp.
hu.gif

The keep pooping watery bubbly stuff and it makes a nasty little noise when they do it.

Last edited:
I don't like the looks of the first one at all, she/he may just be one of those failure to thrive ones. The others bottom actually doesn't look too bad. Would do what purpletree said about keeping clean, use a warm washcloth and apply vaseline or bag balm (more of an antiseptic) to the bottom. Would not put the one with the bottom problem in with others until not red. The sickly one it is with wouldn't be a danger to it. Would give both polyvisol w/o iron 1 drop a day and make sure are eating dry crumbles and make a little mash. Feed by syringe if they aren't eating, but be careful of aspirating. Hold syringe to side of beak and put one drop at time to beak and let them try to take it. I'd do every 3 hrs until eating on own.

I can't speak on the first chick because I'm just not sure but the lil one w/the sore butt well that's what it looks like after I've washed a pasty butt off & it's just a bit sore. I would go the vasiline route too & this way he won't have an issue w/pasty butt either. I wouldn't cull him for it I've see chicks w/that kind of boo boo & a couple days you can't tell which one. Now the other one I just dunno. I alsway give them a day or so to really make a judgement call or to see id they're going to rebound from something. Luckily here I have hubby & he does the actual act of culling for me.
sad.png

Thanks for the info yall. The little sticky head one seems to be doing a little better. She actually got up and pecked at some food. Whats up with the bubbly watery diarrhea that they have? It sounds weird and they strain so hard. I keep thinking that one of them is going to shoot across the brooder when they go. I hope it is just because this is their first day with actual food and water and their systems are just trying to get use to it. I'm going to try to seperate the sickly ones and see how it goes.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom