"PICS HEAVY" Silkie sexing experts help, 11-12 week old silkie

SilkieObession

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Eugene, Oregon
Hey everyone!

Its around that time where my silkies can be sexed please any opinon other then my own would be fantastic

Black silkie 12 weeks (dry comb shot)

I swoped his-her crest feathers back,with a wet towel, for these comb shots. (tiny wattles are growing you can hardly see them)

Partridge chick 11 weeks

I wet her crest feathers down for the comb shots

Buff 11 weeks

some feathers on the back her crest haven't fluffed out yet

Crest has been wet for comb shot

The flock

They all look like hens to me.. But my opinion is bias
wink.png

The partridge and the buff appear to be bigger then the black. but The partridge is really fluffy and the buff has longer feathers
he.gif

I just don't know, help?

Thanks
A.V.

I'm almost 95% positive the buff is a hen. Even tho I've held her everyday she just doesn't like it, I really wanted her to be sweet. But she fearful, really fiesty and always is trying to tell me to bring more treats for her lol!

The other two are as sweet as can be expecally the partridge.

Anyways I'm thinking the partridge is a hen, I think her crest is pretty rounded for a hatchery chick
This pic was taken last on the 28th of last month so 10 days ago

IDK I've seen some pics of a few roos at 12 weeks and the all look very rooish. I was hoping cuz I wouldnt really tell ment they could all be hens? lol
There seems to be allot of ways to guess but I swore I had Roos, then I swore at least 1 of 3 was a roo, turned out all 3 were hens! Didn’t know until they started laying! One had a bigger red crest and everything so don’t give up hope lol

Hey everyone!

Its around that time where my silkies can be sexed please any opinon other then my own would be fantastic

Black silkie 12 weeks (dry comb shot) CANT TELL

I swoped his-her crest feathers back,with a wet towel, for these comb shots. (tiny wattles are growing you can hardly see them)

Partridge chick 11 weeks PULLET?

I wet her crest feathers down for the comb shots

Buff 11 weeks PULLET! I can garuntee this one

some feathers on the back her crest haven't fluffed out yet

Crest has been wet for comb shot

The flock

They all look like hens to me.. But my opinion is bias
wink.png

The partridge and the buff appear to be bigger then the black. but The partridge is really fluffy and the buff has longer feathers
he.gif

I just don't know, help?

Thanks
A.V.

The black silkie definetly looks like a cockeral to me. The partridge definetly looks like a pullet, and the buff is kinda hard to tell. Good luck with em!

I'm almost 95% positive the buff is a hen. Even tho I've held her everyday she just doesn't like it, I really wanted her to be sweet. But she fearful, really fiesty and always is trying to tell me to bring more treats for her lol!

The other two are as sweet as can be expecally the partridge.

Anyways I'm thinking the partridge is a hen, I think her crest is pretty rounded for a hatchery chick
This pic was taken last on the 28th of last month so 10 days ago

IDK I've seen some pics of a few roos at 12 weeks and the all look very rooish. I was hoping cuz I wouldnt really tell ment they could all be hens? lol

Th black did grow her comb pretty early a month ago but it hasn't grown sense. It does have very henny tail feathers. I hope its a hen that just grows into her comb. But ill be watching her very closely.

Her crest is kinda rooish tho too. but when she was baby she had a regular chicken head with no indication that crest feathers were comming

Here they all are at 1 week (black silkie) and 3 days old (buff and partridge)

Thanks for every ones input so far!

Last edited:
I'm going to say the black is a roo, but I had a splash given to me that was supposed to be a roo and it turned out to be a hen. Sometimes silkies can be surprising. At this time, I'd go with pullets for the partridge and buff, and a roo for the black.

Back
Top Bottom