***PICS*** Hen Stuck in Molt & Sick (Yellow Skin, Orange Comb and Wattles)

No, I don't live in California. I live in Colorado. :)
Yes, Colorado'sMamaHen, you should check to see If Colorado has a service like this. I was replying to casportpony From Gilroy CA.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I have used the one here twice. The first time was liver rupture. The second time was cancer.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here it is a State program administered by the University of California.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I hope yours recover![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ron[/FONT]

I've sent 1 turkey (blackhead and fungal infection), 3 peachicks that belonged to the feed store (coccidiosis), 2 EE's (both had different types of organ failure, but coincidentally died on the same day) and two of my peachicks (blackhead, fungal and sepsis). Davis does charge $120 for anything other than chickens, turkeys and waterfowl unless you can convince the pathologist to do them for free.

Last edited:
To have a necropsy done near me (Northern Virginia) it's a flat fee of $75 which is great if you have a horse, cow or dog die but expensive if you want to have it done on a chicken or young chicken :/. Wish I could find someone to do it cheaper where I am I case a bird dies for no reason.

To have a necropsy done near me (Northern Virginia) it's a flat fee of $75 which is great if you have a horse, cow or dog die but expensive if you want to have it done on a chicken or young chicken
hmm.png
. Wish I could find someone to do it cheaper where I am I case a bird dies for no reason.
Is that in Virginia or Maryland? I though that Maryland had reasonable fees for out of state birds, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
In Virginia. I am very close to Maryland though. They are very much into agricultural stuff. I would think VA would be more like that to because I am surrounded by farmers and horse people
hu.gif
. I may see if there is a cheap place in Maryland that isn't to far.

In Virginia. I am very close to Maryland though. They are very much into agricultural stuff. I would think VA would be more like that to because I am surrounded by farmers and horse people
hu.gif
. I may see if there is a cheap place in Maryland that isn't to far.

The reason I post about Necropsy Services is because a lot of people do not know it exists and is free in some States. A person that Lives in Davis did not know about it and UCD has a Lab! I can drive over at lunch with my ice chest and drop off the bird. 3 days later I know if I need to treat my Flock of if all is ok.

It is a great thing to know what is going on with my flock.

The reason I post about Necropsy Services is because a lot of people do not know it exists and is free in some States. A person that Lives in Davis did not know about it and UCD has a Lab! I can drive over at lunch with my ice chest and drop off the bird. 3 days later I know if I need to treat my Flock of if all is ok.

It is a great thing to know what is going on with my flock.

One of my vets, a UC Davis grad, didn't know they were free for chickens. I knew about it, but didn't know about the Fed X discount, so keep posting, I'm sure it will help others.

FYI, both Turlock and Tulare have emailed preliminary necropsy results within a 3-5 hours after receiving my animals. Lab results take a little longer...

She definitely has more color, thank you for asking! But her feathers are just a wreck. They have heat lamps in the coop, but it has been so darn cold here. I'm debating on whether or not to get her a sweater. I don't want to inhibit new feather growth or encourage mites, but I don't want her to freeze either. I'll grab another pic:

Anyone have experience using sweaters?

Back
Top Bottom