PICS my new hens what are they/are they what they are supposed to be?

VioletBlueIvy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 29, 2010
Hi Everyone!
I just bought these three new hens from someone who had 50 or so birds and was selling off last years layers. I just wanted to add something different to my little flock and I am very happy with them. No eggs yet though, but it is only the third morning in their new home. I just wondered what you thought about what they are supposed to be breed wise.

This one is an Ameracuna she is so tiny I put her in with my chicks, she is the same size as them! She very flighty too, I named her Bebe, because she looks like a roadrunner and is so small. I think she is so pretty and hopefully lays blue eggs.
DSCN0612.jpg

This one he said is a Jersey Giant. She is so sweet and friendly!
DSCN0606.jpg

And my daughter picked this one out, the guys granddaughter caught her, he wasn't there to tell me what she was. (I went back later to exchange another ameracauna hen that had inch long needley spurs.) She is also very friendly, and so pretty! She has dark legs and feathered feet.
DSCN0609.jpg

Last edited:
the first one looks like an EE that might not lay blue/green eggs. Most people say if the comb is a pea comb, you're more likely to get the blue/green eggs. Ya never know, though. Either way, they are pretty little girls!

The first hen definitly is not an Ameraucana, she may have the blue egg gene and lay colored eggs and be an Easter Egger at best, but she doesnt even look like a typical easter egger. But since hatcherys falsely call their EEs Ameraucanas, a lot of people get them mixed up, I just sold my flock of EEs yesterday and the guy who bought them said they were Ameracuanas, and I told him No and that Ameraucanas come in ceritain colors and lay only blue eggs and he tried to tell me that Araucanas were the ones that came in certain colors and that mine were still Ameracuanas and I just didnt feel like arguing with him about it. Anyway if you look under the Breeds Genetics section in the sticky at the top of the page that says something like notable references and breeds discussion, there is a thread listed in there with the differences between the three.

The second one does look like a black Giant

And the third on looks like a birds whos mother was dominant white, like maybe a leghorn. When you cross a white leghorn hen or a hen with dominant white with pretty much any color roo, you get chicks that look like that color. But that is a pretty large looking birds so if her mom was a W L, her dad would have had to have been a large breed.

Per the first one, I thought the same thing (EE not AM) when I really got a look at them. I have found a couple of pictures that look like her that said they were bantam EE's produced by crossing araucunas with anconas I think it said? I thought the tail looked like anconas?

The white one, she has black legs with feathers on them. Maybe a Brahma? What else has black legs and feathered feet? I'll have to go look....

Hey If the person you bought her from had any of the commericail meat type hens that could be her mother, that would give the same color. I used some of those meat type hens with with a RIR rooster, ( both of those have yellow leggs) and it gave birds that color with the blackish/blue leggs, so it may be just a dom white cross thing on the black leggs. But if she has crossed from a large breed like a brama or cochin, that is where she would have gotten her feathered leggs from. But shes a cross what ever she is.

The first is a game hen, not sure if Old English or what.

The second is either an Australorp or black Jersey Giant, you'll have to wait for those folk who know the difference between the two.

The third is funny. She is very pretty, but from the pic it looks like she is a splash patterned bird. It almost looks like an Orpington, from the very rounded body, but the feather legs are funny. Possibly a Cochin cross with Orp?

Red&Yellow :

The first is a game hen, not sure if Old English or what.

The second is either an Australorp or black Jersey Giant, you'll have to wait for those folk who know the difference between the two.

The third is funny. She is very pretty, but from the pic it looks like she is a splash patterned bird. It almost looks like an Orpington, from the very rounded body, but the feather legs are funny. Possibly a Cochin cross with Orp?

Yeah I was also thinking the first one looked gamey, but I see that she has blue legs so she may be some kind of mix and carrying the blue egg gene.

And to me the White one looks alittle too white to be a splash but it may be the pic. VioletBlueIvy can you get a close up of the white one ?​

The first hen is a American game or American game cross.
American Gamefowl can have Yellow, Black, White, Blue, or Green colored legs so so she could be pure but it is going to be hard to tell not knowing the background of the bird...
She should make a real good layer and a excellent mother...

Chris

On the second one (Jersey Giant), the legs and feet should be black with yellow on the bottom of the feet. If the bottom of the feet are a pinkish-white, then it's an Australorp.

Interesting!
I will get more pics of the white one closer up and post them later today. (her name is now Gritch, because she has huge feet with long toenails that look like Gritch the Witch's toenails in "Zoom Broom" , doesn't help figure out what she is but it's important info to some little people I know)

So my ameracuna that was probably an EE is an american/or old english game hen! I looked up American Game on feathersite and that is her for sure. If she was a cross (still hoping against hope to get a blue egg) would she be such a dead ringer for an american game bantam?

I will check the feet of the black one too.

Back
Top Bottom