PICS ~ my new silkies

I might have to take you up on the girlie if I have a roo...however, I did find out that yes you can have them de-rooed...seriously, it's expensive and an avian vet does it...but it's similar to a dog being de-barked! (I'm not for that, so I'm not sure I would do it, but you can do it according to somewhere online that I researched that out) LOL
wink.png

FS in SM doesn't have any more partridge...they had three and the other two were marked sold/paid for...so I grabbed up this one and then took FOREVER looking (deciding) what to do about the other one (if I could of taken just one, I would have, but it's not fair to only have one lonely chick)
sad.png
They have white, buff colored, black, grey...they have a ton, but all pretty much various shades of black and white left...

I worry about the silkies because they seem still in a daze...hope they get strong and their little personalities pop out soon...I can't hatch my own because the survival rate seems pretty low...I'd be a wreck if I thought they died because of something I did...I'm a wreck right now with my little golf balls because they appear far more fragile then my other chicks did...and my hubby keeps saying things like "why didn't you get normal chickens that lay big eggs?" awwww these little silkies are normal!!! And they lay eggs!!! (we hope!!!)
big_smile.png
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow, well I guess they do it all these days! I worked in a vet for awhile and I thought I saw it all - but never a de-crowing LOL. Maybe get your neighbors a round of earplugs... they will never know?
wink.png

Wow, sounds like they have a huge variety in, I might have to take a look and if I fall in love, slip a few into the brooder! "What, where did those come from!?" Hahaha, they multiply like magic! I'm sure it was tough to pick one out with all those cute fuzzy-butts peeping! Maybe you got lucky and ended up with a few ladies?

Mine were in a daze for half the day. I feel literally like a mother hen, I kept checking up on them over and over. I'm starting to see some personality in a few, but they are pretty laid back overall. I think silkies in general are. Also, it might be a little shocking going from a big group of brothers and sisters to just two at first, but I'm sure they will adapt quickly. Also with hatching eggs, I feel the same way. But I think with a good source, trial and error... you might get lucky! I've been reading about low hatch rates, but also some with good (people seem to have good luck with the genesis 1588 with egg turner, or 1602N model Hovabator, less expensive and gets the trick done
big_smile.png
) I'm sure your hubby will get so attached to the lil' "Gloff Balls" he will want more! They are a flock of kittens with a puppy personalty; what's not to love?
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

we live in the boonies (well not really that far in the country, but we don't have neighbors within yelling reach) so the roo irritation is my HUBBY's issue...HE doesn't want to hear it...I'm guessing he'll fall in love and deal or I will have to hold up my end of the bargain and re-home...??? time will tell....

I'd love to hear confirmation on the de-rooing...if anyone has done it before???

Last edited:
Awww, well, hopefully hubby will let you keep it IF it turns out to be a roo. I sadly can't keep any due to neighbors being so close. *cry* I read a trick in sexing on the board the other night. It's not 100% they said; however, they had pretty good results. They said to take the first toe and the middle and if they match up it's a pullet, if they are different sizes it's a roo. They do this for pigeon sexing. And being silkies are harder to sex than most others (unless you got a young stud crowing) hopefully this will work.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=105195 (here was the thread about the silkie sexing I was talking about, I found it helpful)

Last edited:
Cute little fuzz butts!

If I have a hard time keeping the temp regulated, I'll put a heating pad on low on one side of the brooder, with most of it against the wall and only a small part on the floor. Gives them something to cuddle up against.

Quote:
I would be too afraid the heating pad would short or something when they peed/pooped on it or spilt the water...all I need is 'fried chicken' that you can't eat...LOL
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom